Saturday, December 15, 2007

Episode 50

ALEX JEFFERSON takes his seat next to his lawyer VALERIE EDWARDS.

ALEX - So explain to me how this whole thing works. I've only seen this on tv.

VALERIE - Breanna is gonna come in. Probably with legal representation as well. Then we present the case.

(VALERIE checks her watch.)

VALERIE - She actually should be coming in any minute no...

(The commotion in the court room begins to settle as the bailiff gets ready to announce the Honorable Judge Palmer. As he does, BREANNA and CHRISTIAN emerge from the back of the court room.)

BAILIFF - All rise. The Honorable Judge Vanessa Palmer residing.

(The judge comes in and takes her seat. ALEX leans over to VALERIE.)

ALEX whispers - Does Breanna have to have a lawyer?

VALERIE whispers - She doesn't have to. She can represent herself if she wants to. Or she can have a court appointed lawyer if she can't afford a lawyer.

ALEX whispers - Oh, because I don't see anyone with her to represent her.

BAILIFF - Case one nine zero six, Jefferson case. All parties present?

VALERIE EDWARDS - Your honor Valerie Edwards, prosecution, representing Alex Jefferson.

JUDGE PALMER - So noted.

CHRISTIAN - Your honor, Christian Jordan representing the defense.

ALEX thinks - What!

ALEX whispers - She can't represent Breanna! What the hell?

VALERIE whispers - Alex, Breanna can choose whomever she wants.

ALEX whispers - Yeah but...

JUDGE PALMER- Is there a problem with your client counsel?

VALERIE - Uh... no your honor. No problem.

(VALERIE turns to ALEX.)

VALERIE whispers - What difference does it make who represents Breanna? Do you know that girl Christian or something?

ALEX - Uh.... no. It doesn't matter.

(Everyone sits down.)

JUDGE PALMER - Proceed.

(VALERIE stands up.)

VALERIE - Your honor, the charge against the defense is assault. The defendant struck my client in his office over a dispute. My client was an instructor of the defendant.

JUDGE PALMER - So noted.

(CHRISTIAN stands up as VALERIE sits down.)

CHRISTIAN - Your honor, my client has filed a counter claim of harassment against the plaintiff. My client has been followed, harassed through telephone calls and emails.

ALEX - That's not true! She's lying!

JUDGE PALMER - Order!

(ALEX turns to VALERIE.)

ALEX - Did you know about this? Can she do this? What the hell?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APRIL and OCTAVIA have just left KATRICE's room. They are giving PJ and KATRICE a few minutes alone to talk.

(APRIL and OCTAVIA walk into the hallway. PJ smiles as she closes the door.)

OCTAVIA - What's that all about?

(APRIL looks back at the closed door. She is silent for a moment.)

APRIL - Well I'll be damned. I never would've thought.

OCTAVIA - What?

(APRIL doesn't answer, but starts to walk down the hall.)

OCTAVIA - What? What am I missing?

(silence)

APRIL - You're missing something alright. You are totally out of the loop.

OCTAVIA - Well what? Tell me what's up.

(APRIL smiles.)

APRIL - Octavia, let me tell you a little something about Katrice.

OCTAVIA - About Katrice? What? What about her?

APRIL - See, the thing is, Katrice is...

(APRIL's cell phone rings.)

APRIL - ...the thing is, Katrice likes...

(APRIL looks at her cell phone display.)

APRIL - Oh shit!

(She answers.)

APRIL - Hello?

XAVIER - Hi. You busy?

APRIL - No no. How are you?

XAVIER - Um... I'm okay. Uh... can we talk? I wanna talk to you.

APRIL - Yeah, sure. Are you okay?

XAVIER - I just need to talk. Where are you?

APRIL - In the dorm, visiting my soror. Where are you?

XAVIER - I'm on my way back to my room from Amgis. I'll be home in about fifteen minutes. Can you meet me there? At my room?

APRIL - Sure, I'll meet you there.

XAVIER - Okay, see ya then.

APRIL - Okay.

(She hangs up.)

OCTAVIA - Who was that? What's goin' on?

APRIL - Octavia, I gotta run!

OCTAVIA - Gotta run? I thought we were hanging out? Who was that?

APRIL - That was Xavier and he sounds like he needs me! I gotta go!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CANDACE is sitting in her car with ALEXIS and QUINTON. They are at the airport picking up DERRICK.

CANDACE - He should be coming right out. His flight should've just landed.

ALEXIS - You wanna go inside and meet him in there? Me and Q can watch the car.

CANDACE - Well, I don't know if he checked a bag or not. Lots of times he doesn't so I don't know if he walks right out of if he goes over to baggage claim. He should be right out.

ALEXIS - That's cool.

QUINTON - How is he feeling about the DNA test?

CANDACE - He is nervous as hell. One minute he'll feel calm about it, and in the next ten seconds, he'll be all uptight. I just try and support him. He's a good man and he wants to do the right thing. Ya know?

QUINTON - Oh I know. I remember when he was taking care of the baby and everyone on the yard was laughing at him. I applaud that though. So many niggas out here not taking care of their kids and here you have one taking care of what he thought was someone else's. I give him a lot of credit.

CANDACE - Yeah. Me too. He's a good guy.

ALEXIS - You're lucky Can. You went from dating Nino to dating Derrick. Two real quality guys. Most girls would hate on your luck with men. On my luck too.

(QUINTON smiles and kisses ALEXIS.)

CANDACE - Well don't forget, I did date shady ass Jerrell. Can't leave him out the mix.

ALEXIS - Oh yeah! I remember that because you got mad at him and took it out on me!

CANDACE - My bad soror.

(They both laugh.)

QUINTON - Oh there he is! He's looking for us, he doesn't see your car.

(CANDACE blows the horn and DERRICK looks. He smiles and begins to walk over. CANDACE opens the car door. She can't hide how big her smile is.)

CANDACE - Hey!

DERRICK - Hi!

(She skips and jumps into his arms. DERRICK is so tall that he sweeps CANDACE right off her feet. He hugs her and kisses her.)

CANDACE - How was your flight?

DERRICK - Rough. I couldn't sleep. But I don't know if it was the flight itself or my situation. I haven't been sleeping good lately.

CANDACE - Poor baby. Well at least we'll find out today and your mind will be at ease, either way.

DERRICK - Yeah. I'm just ready to get it over with. Ya know?

CANDACE - Yeah.

(They hold hands and interlock fingers as they begin to walk back toward the car.)

CANDACE - I'll be by your side the whole time Derrick. You know that.

DERRICK - Yeah. I know.

(silence)

DERRICK - Thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XAVIER is emptying his bag in his room.

XAVIER thinks - Dag! All these papers, and now I gotta put them in order! Shoot!

(XAVIER's interviews fell to the ground when he was at Amgis. Now he has to put them in order.)

XAVIER thinks - Man this is gonna take an hour!

(As soon as he sits down there is a knock on the door.)

XAVIER thinks - That's probably April.

(He gets up and walks to the door. He opens it.)

XAVIER - Hey.

APRIL - Hi Z. How you feelin'?

XAVIER - I'm cool, come on in.

(XAVIER lets APRIL in.)

APRIL - Are you okay?

XAVIER - I need to talk to you. I hope you weren't busy or anything.

APRIL thinks - Whatever!

APRIL - Naw, naw, it's cool. What's on your mind?

XAVIER - Here, have a seat.

(XAVIER offers his chair from his computer desk. He then sits on the bed.)

APRIL - Thanks.

XAVIER - April...

(XAVIER pauses.)

XAVIER - ...I had a conversation with your boy Larry recently...

(APRIL laughs to herself.)

XAVIER - ...and it caused me to think about a lot of things. Ya know?

APRIL - Really now?

XAVIER - Yeah. It really did.

(silence)

XAVIER - April, you know I do like you right?

APRIL - Xavier, you give me a lot of mixed signals so I don't know what to believe. So I don't try to figure you anymore. I have to move on, I can't wait for you to make up your mind about me. We can just be friends because on Monday you say one thing and on Wednesday you say something else. So I'm just like...

XAVIER - Wait, let me stop you right there. I hate to cut you off because I hate being cut off myself. But let me tell you why I...

(He pauses.)

XAVIER - ...why I think the way I do and why I've treated you this way.

APRIL - Well... okay.

XAVIER - First of all, let me say that I'm sorry for taking you on an emotional ride. I don't want to hurt you April.

(APRIL doesn't answer.)

XAVIER - April, its hard for me to open up to a woman. Very hard.

APRIL - I know Xavier, I know that you don't have sex and I think that is so respectful that you honor your body and that you're in the church the way that you are.

XAVIER - Thanks, but to be honest with you, that's now why I haven't had sex yet. Well, that is the reason, but that isn't the only reason.

APRIL - It isn't?

XAVIER - No. I know that if I have sex with someone, I'll be so close to that person that...

(He pauses and looks away. He starts to sound emotional.)

XAVIER - April, I'm afraid of falling in love.

APRIL - You are?

XAVIER - Yeah. If I fall for someone, I'll lose them.

APRIL - You won't lose me Xavier.

(APRIL stands up and approaches XAVIER. He immediately stands up and backs off.)

XAVIER - Sit back down. I'm not finished.

APRIL - Oh, sorry.

(She sits back down. He sits back on the bed. He looks directly at her... into her eyes.)

XAVIER - I never told you this... but do you know what May seventh is?

APRIL - You did tell me that. That's your birthday?

(XAVIER is looking with a very solemn look on his face. No expression, but seemingly close to tears.)

XAVIER - Yeah, and that's the day my mother died.

APRIL - Your mother died!

XAVIER - Not the woman that my father is married to now. My stepmother is alive. I'm talking about my mother. My real mother. My birth mother.

APRIL - Your mom is really your stepmother? I didn't know that, I didn't know your dad remarried.

XAVIER - Yeah. My father remarried when I was in high school. My mother...

(XAVIER stops and looks away. He waits a few seconds and when he begins to speak, his voice cracks.)

XAVIER - My mother...my mother died delivering me.

APRIL - What? Oh my God!

XAVIER - My mother died on the operating table. They pulled me out but that took her life. I never knew her. She bled to death. I never had her rub my head. I never had her come up to my school. I never had her pray for me. I never knew her April, I never knew her. If it weren't for me, she'd still be here.

(silence)

XAVIER - I'm so afraid of losing...

(A tear falls from XAVIER's eye.)

XAVIER - I don't know if I can...

(silence)

XAVIER - That's why...

(XAVIER starts to cry.)

XAVIER - I wish I had a mom April. I lost mine. I don't want to lose anyone...

(He wipes his eyes.)

XAVIER - ...that I love.

(silence)

(APRIL wipes her own eyes. Her tears will not stop... neither will XAVIER's.)

APRIL - Xavier, I don't... I'm so sorry.

XAVIER - You don't have to be. I'm sorry I made you feel the way that I did.

(XAVIER laughs a little.)

XAVIER - And now I'm in here crying like a... I know that aint cute!

APRIL - Actually, its attractive to have a man who isn't afraid to show himself.

(silence)

XAVIER - April, I like you. I care about you. I really do. I'm just scared.

(APRIL gets up and walks toward him on the bed.. This time he doesn't stop her. She steps right to him and places his head on her stomach. He places his arms around her and hugs her, she puts her arms around his head... and rubs his head.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PJ lets APRIL and OCTAVIA out of KATRICE's room. She locks KATRICE's door as APRIL enters the hallway with OCTAVIA.

PJ - Okay, now you're gonna tell me about this Jahanna situation.

(KATRICE giggles.)

KATRICE - You're serious huh? Locking the door now?

PJ - Yep, and hold on.

(PJ walks over to KATRICE's phone and takes it off the hook. She places the receiver down.)

PJ - No more interruptions!

(KATRICE laughs.)

PJ - Now spill the beans sister!

(KATRICE sits down. PJ sits across from her.)

PJ - You can't stall anymore, you can't delay anymore. I want to know and I want to know now.

KATRICE - Okay okay fine. Well you asked for it.

(KATRICE becomes serious.)

KATRICE - Let me first apologize to you Peej. I shouldn't have let my personal life interfere with sorority business, and in this case I did. So I am sorry to you and to the chapter. I can't reveal to the chapter this apology because... well you'll understand as the story unfolds.

PJ - Okay.

(KATRICE exhales as she begins.)

KATRICE - Okay. Remember back when I told you about...

(KATRICE's cell phone rings.)

KATRICE - Ooops, I guess you didn't safeguard my cell. Ha ha ha ha.

PJ - Don't worry, I will now!

KATRICE - What?

(PJ picks up KATRICE's cell phone off the table. KATRICE tries to take it from her but PJ holds KATRICE away with one arm and the cell phone in the other. PJ answers it.)

KATRICE - Give me that!

PJ - Hello?

KEENAH - Katrice?

PJ - No, this is her line sister PJ. Can I take a message for Katrice and have her call you back?

KEENAH - Sure, just tell her that Keenah called.

PJ - I sure will.

(PJ hangs it up.)

KATRICE - Peej! Who was that?

PJ - Call Keenah.

KATRICE - Dammit! I wanted to talk to her!

PJ - Yeah okay whatever. She sounds real cute.

KATRICE - She is real cute for your information!

(PJ doesn't acknowledge that comment as she turns KATRICE's cell phone off.)

KATRICE - You are a trip, you know that?

PJ - You got any other devices in here that can possibly interrupt us?

KATRICE - No PJ.

PJ - Good! Now continue with this freakin' story!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DERRICK and CANDACE drive up to the Ahpla University hospital.

(CANDACE pulls into a parking spot. She turns the car off. DERRICK, ALEXIS, and QUINTON open their doors to get out but CANDACE doesn't move.)

DERRICK - Hey, you ready to go in?

(silence)

DERRICK - You okay?

CANDACE - Huh? Oh I'm sorry. It's just that...

(CANDACE smiles.)

CANDACE - I haven't been back here since...well since Nino died.

ALEXIS - Oh that's right.

DERRICK - Are you okay? Do you still want to do this?

CANDACE - Oh yeah. I'm okay. I wanna be here with you through this Derrick.

DERRICK - Are you sure? It's okay if you don't want to or can't.

CANDACE - No, no. I'm fine.

(CANDACE smiles at DERRICK.)

DERRICK - Okay then. Well let's go.

(They all get out of the car. DERRICK takes CANDACE's hand and they walk toward the entrance of the hospital.)

CANDACE - I think I'm just as nervous as you Derrick.

DERRICK - Ha ha ha, yeah, your palms are sweaty and cold too.

(CANDACE laughs which makes her feel better. They enter the hospital and DERRICK checks his watch.)

DERRICK - We're a few minutes early for the appointment. I wonder if Caryn or Bobby are here yet.

(DERRICK looks around the lobby area and sees TRINA reading a magazine.)

DERRICK - Oh there's Trina. She probably is here with Caryn.

(DERRICK and CANDACE walk over to TRINA. TRINA looks up.)

TRINA - Derrick! Hi boo!

DERRICK - Hey Trina how you doin'?

(She stands up and they hug.)

TRINA - I'm good I'm good. How is the NBA treatin' ya?

DERRICK - It's cool. You remember Candace right?

TRINA - Yes! How you doin'?

(TRINA and CANDACE shake hands.)

TRINA - Caryn went to the bathroom. She should be right bac...

CARYN - Aw hell naw!

(DERRICK and CANDACE turn around.)

CARYN - What you got a girlfriend now or some shit?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(CHRISTIAN stands up as VALERIE sits down.)

CHRISTIAN - Your honor, my client has filed a counter claim of harassment against the plaintiff. My client has been followed, harassed through telephone calls and emails.

ALEX - That's not true! She's lying!

JUDGE PALMER - Order!

(ALEX turns to VALERIE.)

ALEX - Did you know about this? Can she do this? What the hell?

VALERIE - I had no idea about that part. I never got any documentation about a counter claim.

ALEX - Well why not? Aren't you supposed to know these things? You're my lawyer!

VALERIE - Calm down. Calm down. Let's see how this all plays out.

JUDGE PALMER - So noted. Mrs. Edwards, proceed.

VALERIE - Thank you your honor. I'd like to call Alex Jefferson to the stand please.

(ALEX gets up, takes the oath, and fixes his tie as he takes the stand.)

VALERIE - Dr. Jefferson, what is your relationship to the defendant?

ALEX - Um... she was one of my students.

VALERIE - And what exactly do you teach?

ALEX - I am a pyschology professor at Ahpla University.

(The court room door opens and STACIE JEFFERSON walks in. ALEX sees her and smiles until he notices that she sits behind BREANNA and CHRISTIAN.)

VALERIE - A psychology professor.

ALEX - Yep.

VALERIE - So do you study personalities?

ALEX - Yes. That's what I specialize in and try to teach. The study of human behavior and reaction.

VALERIE - Okay, so why do you think the incident on the day in question happened?

ALEX - You know, I thought about that. I think it was a grades issue. Maybe she didn't get the grade she thought she deserved.

VALERIE - Thank you Professor. No further questions.

ALEX thinks - That's it?

JUDGE PALMER - Ms. Jordan, your witness.

CHRISTIAN - Professor Jefferson, you stated that the reason for the alleged incident was grades.

ALEX - Possibly.

CHRISTIAN - Possibly?

(CHRISTIAN opens a folder and pulls out some papers.)

CHRISTIAN - Well, I happen to have all of her test scores, quiz scores and assignment and report scores. Breanna received nothing but A's in your class. So do you think she was upset she didn't get A pluses?

ALEX - Huh? Let me see those.

CHRISTIAN - Your honor, I'd like to submit this as exhibit A.

JUDGE PALMER - So noted.

CHRISTIAN - Dr. Jefferson, is this your signature on these documents? Did you grade these?

ALEX - Uh... well I have an assistant and sometimes she signs my initials. I may not have gotten a chance to sign these in particular.

CHRISTIAN - Would your assistant have signed...

(CHRISTIAN reads from the paper she is holding.)

CHRISTIAN - "Good job Bree, I like the way you're progressing. Call me later."

ALEX - Uh... uh... I was only saying for Breanna to call me to discuss her exam score.

CHRISTIAN - So you did correct this exam.

ALEX - Wait, uh... I don't...

CHRISTIAN - Do you have nicknames for all of your students professor?

ALEX - No, wait a minute! I'm not on trial here, she is!

(ALEX points at BREANNA.)

ALEX - She hit me!

VALERIE - Your honor I object, no relevance.

JUDGE PALMER - Sustained.

CHRISTIAN - Dr. Jefferson, how exactly did Breanna assault you?

ALEX - She hit me.

CHRISTIAN - Where?

ALEX - In my face. My lawyer has photographs of my injuries. Can that be exhibit B?

CHRISTIAN - Uh no, exhibit B will be the emails that you sent to Breanna, asking her to forgive you for how you hurt her and for the... situation... going out of hand.

ALEX - What!

CHRISTIAN - And exhibit C will be your cell phone bill showing numerous calls to my client's home number, something totally unprofessional for a professor at a university. Especially judging by the times of some of the calls.

ALEX - What about the fact that she assaulted me? Huh? What about that?

CHRISTIAN - Your honor, no further questions.

JUDGE PALMER- You may step down Mr. Jefferson.

ALEX - Wait a minute! This isn't fair! What about her assaulting me!

JUDGE PALMER - Mr. Jefferson, I'm not going to ask you to be quiet again! Now step down!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JASON is in the gym hitting the heavy bag with DEXTER. JASON is letting off steam after an arguement with WILLIE in which she is attempting to break up with him.

DEXTER - I didn't know you came down here, I work out here all the time. Well come on man, let's take out that agression on the bag here.

(DEXTER puts his towel down on the bench and stands behind the bag to hold it for JASON.)

DEXTER - Aight man, let's see what ya go.

(JASON just stands there.)

DEXTER - Don't worry man, ha ha ha, it won't hit ya back. Give it your best shot!

(JASON steps in and hits the bag...hard. Very hard.)

DEXTER - Damn man, you need to take on Lennox Lewis! Damn!

(silence)

DEXTER - Hey J, what's the matter man? You look like you're about to kill somebody, and from the feel of that punch, you may be able to.

(silence)

DEXTER - You okay man?

JASON - Dex, can I talk to you...and you keep it between me and you?

DEXTER thinks - What's this about?

DEXTER - Sure man, what's up?

(silence)

(JASON gets ready to hit the bag again.)

JASON - I just got something...real important...that I need to ask you man.

DEXTER - Yeah sure man. What's up?

(JASON hits the bag again.)

JASON - Naw.. never mind.

DEXTER - What?

(JASON hits the bag again.)

(silence)

DEXTER - What man?

JASON - We're boys right? I mean, you wouldn't fuck me over would you?

DEXTER - Fuck you over? What the hell are you talking about J?

JASON - I think Willie is cheatin' on me.

DEXTER thinks - Oh shit!

DEXTER - Oh shit! Are you sure? I mean, she isn't that type at all dog.

JASON - She's breaking up with me for no apparent reason.

DEXTER thinks - Damn! She's really doin' it! I can't believe this shit!

JASON - And I would just hate to think that Willie would be going back to her ex boyfriend... who happens to be one of my boys.

DEXTER - Hey look man, I don't wanna get in the middle of you and Willie man. That's your business and you can handle it. Ya know? I'm out of that dog.

(JASON is just staring at DEXTER.)

JASON - You know what man...

(silence)

JASON - ...you're right. My bad bruh.

DEXTER - Aint no thing bruh.

(silence)

DEXTER - Listen, I'm gonna go ahead and bounce man. Let you be alone.

(JASON is silent.)

DEXTER - Um... later man.

(DEXTER waits a second for a response from JASON, then turns to leave. He quickly walks out.)

(silence)

(JASON reaches into his pocket and pulls out his cell phone. He dials.)

THERESA - Hello?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KATRICE - You are a trip, you know that?

PJ - You got any other devices in here that can possibly interrupt us?

KATRICE - No PJ.

PJ - Good! Now continue with this freakin' story!

KATRICE - Alright already. Okay, I don't think you know a lot about my past, as far as my dating history. Do you?

PJ - No, not at all.

PJ thinks - Please don't tell me you dated Jahanna! Please don't tell me you dated Jahanna!

KATRICE - Okay, well it all started my freshman year. Believe it or not, I had a boyfriend.

PJ - You... had a boyfriend?

KATRICE - I haven't always been kissing on women ya know.

(They kiss.)

KATRICE - You are a really good kisser!

DEXTER - No, you are a really good kisser!

(They kiss again.)

KATRICE - I could kiss you all day.

DEXTER - Then why don't ya?

KATRICE - Because, I told you I got a meeting in the library. Stop playin' with me.

(KATRICE laughs as she tries to break out of DEXTER's grasp.)

KATRICE - I'm late enough as it is.

DEXTER - Okay okay. But listen, call me after your meeting and I'll probably come by your place.

KATRICE - Uh uh, not tonight hon. I got major studying to do. So I can't hook up with you again til Friday.

DEXTER - Friday?

KATRICE - Yeah man, you know how my exams roll. They come in blocks and I got a bunch coming up. I told you that.

DEXTER - Yeah but I thought you just finished a bunch of exams.

KATRICE - Hey, I don't make the rules.

(KATRICE kisses him lightly one last time.)

KATRICE - But I'll call you later okay?

DEXTER - Yeah that's a bet. Good luck studying.

KATRICE - Thanks.

(KATRICE grabs her bag and DEXTER walks her to the door.)

KATRICE - See ya.

DEXTER - Bye.

(KATRICE leaves and throws her bag over her shoulder.)

KATRICE thinks - Damn I hate lying to him!

(She looks back at his room as she gets on the elevator.)

KATRICE thinks - Well actually, I'm not really lying. I mean, I am going to the library and I am going to study.

(silence)

KATRICE thinks - Who the hell am I foolin'? I'm only going to the library to meet up with...

(The elevator door opens in the lobby. KATRICE steps out.)

KATRICE thinks - I don't know why this whole thing is so interesting to me all of a sudden. I'm not a lesbian, but why the hell am I pressed about tonight?

(KATRICE walks from her dorm and crosses the street toward the main campus and Pearl Library.)

KATRICE thinks - Everybody probably has some sort of curiosity. That's probably what this is. Nothing more than the normal curiosity. I'm sure everybody thinks about doing something with someone of the same sex. At least once they think about it. That's all this is, yeah, that's all this is.

(KATRICE enters the library and walks toward the stairs leading to the top where the stacks are.)

KATRICE thinks - I'll probably mention Dexter too. That way, I'll put my cards on the table and say that I have a boyfriend. I'll be honest about it.

(As she goes through the door, she sees someone sitting alone.)

KATRICE thinks - That's her.

(KATRICE walks up from behind.)

KATRICE - Hello.

(KEENAH turns around in her seat.)

KEENAH - Hey!

(KEENAH stands up and her and KATRICE hug. As the let go, KEENAH kisses KATRICE on the cheek.)

KEENAH - Here, sit down.

KATRICE - Thanks. You been waiting long?

KEENAH - Naw, not really. I had some reading to do anyway.

KATRICE - Oh good, I didn't want to keep you waiting.

KEENAH - Doesn't matter.

(silence)

KEENAH - You okay? You look very nervous.

KATRICE - Honestly Keenah, I am. I mean, I've never done anything like this before.

KEENAH - I know.

KATRICE - And plus...

(KATRICE pauses.)

KATRICE - ...um... do you know that I... uh... have...

KEENAH - Dexter?

KATRICE - How did you...

KEENAH - I do research on anything that interests me. I know all about your boyfriend.

KATRICE - You do?

KEENAH - Yep.

KATRICE - So why... I mean, what is the purpose of these talks we've been having and me meeting you here tonight? If you know I have a man, what's the point in all this?

(KEENAH smiles. She then slowly leans in toward KATRICE to kiss her. KATRICE backs up.)

KATRICE - Hey, I don't know if we should...

(KATRICE looks around the room and sees other students with their heads down. Studying.)

KEENAH - Shhhh... just follow me. Come here, I want you to recognize something.

KATRICE - Um... okay.

KEENAH - The reason I wanted to meet you is for the same reason you decided to show up. You are curious about me and my lifestyle as I am about you. If your boyfriend was really an issue, you wouldn't be here now.

(silence)

KATRICE - But I do care about him.

KEENAH - I know you do. And that's cool.

(KEENAH leans in again. This time KATRICE doesn't move.)

KEENAH - But he'll never touch you the way a woman can.

(KEENAH kisses KATRICE's lips very lightly. KATRICE waits for more with her eyes closed.)

KEENAH whispers - There's something about when a woman touches you. Something... different.

(KEENAH places her hand on KATRICE's face and leans in again. This time they kiss... for real.)

KEENAH whispers - You don't have to ever tell Dexter. He doesn't have to know. This can be our little secret. Okay?

KATRICE - Uh...

(KEENAH leans in again, this time KATRICE meets her to kiss. They hold hands as well.)

KEENAH whispers - Dexter will never have to know Katrice, he'll never have to know anything.

(The phone rings.)

DEXTER - Hello?

JAHANNA - Dexter oh my God I got some fucked up news to tell you!

DEXTER - What? What are you talking about?

JAHANNA - I'm in Pearl and I was studying up in the stacks, and Dexter what I saw was ill and disgusting!

DEXTER - What? What happened?

(She pauses.)

JAHANNA - I saw your girl... kissing on another girl!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(The phone rings.)

WILLIE - Hello?

DEXTER - Hey.

(WILLIE pauses.)

WILLIE - Hi.

DEXTER - You busy?

WILLIE - Uh... no. No. I can talk. What's up?

(silence)

WILLIE - Hello?

DEXTER - Yeah, I'm here. Listen, I think... I think we need to chill out. And not pursue one another... like we've been... feeling.

(silence)

WILLIE - Why? I mean, why not?

DEXTER - Willie, what we had was... I mean deep. No doubt. But I fucked up and then you got involved with someone else. And not that I care about who the hell you're sleepin' with, because normall a bruh wouldn't give a shit.

(He pauses.)

DEXTER - But me and Jason are... cool. Kind of.

(silence)

WILLIE - Dexter, I'm just confused. I don't know what I should do.

DEXTER - I just gave my word to Jason that I would stay out of yall's business. And my word is my bond no doubt.

(silence)

(silence)

(silence)

DEXTER - Willie, I'd give anything to get you back. But the timing has to be right.

(silence)

WILLIE - Yeah Dexter.

DEXTER - And this... this is just all fucked up.

(silence)

DEXTER - Listen Willie, I gotta go. I'll talk to yo...

WILLIE - I'll always love you Dex.

DEXTER - Yeah Willie. Same here.

(JASON has his ear to the phone.)

JASON - I'm down in the gym. Come on down.

THERESA - Oh downstairs. Oh okay, I'll be right down.

(They hang up and three minutes later, THERESA walks into the gym.)

JASON - Hey.

THERESA - Hey.

(They lightly hug.)

THERESA - What's the matter? What's the big emergency?

JASON - I need to talk to you and I need for you to keep this between me and you.

THERESA thinks - Why isn't he tellin' Willie this?

THERESA - Okay, what's up?

JASON - Willie is breaking up with me.

THERESA thinks - Okay, now I know why he aint talkin' to Willie!

THERESA - What! Why?

JASON - I just got the strange feeling she's trying to get down with somebody else. But instead of going for it, she's gonna break up with me to get rid of all her guilt. Then show up with him in the mall somewhere or up in the club or some shit.

THERESA - What? You got some proof?

JASON - Just the way she's been acting and the way she told me. She had guilt written all over her face.

THERESA - That's not proof.

JASON - I just feel it Theresa. I just... I just feel it.

(silence)

THERESA - Well what was the point in calling me?

JASON - I needed to talk to someone about it. I wanted... I wanted to see you.

(silence)

JASON - You know how I get. I just need someone to talk to. If I don't get things off my chest, I explode. And you and I were always good... talkers. Remember?

THERESA - Yeah but... things are different now. I changed a lot when I pledged J. I'm not the same girl you remember.

JASON - Really?

THERESA - Really. So let me give you some advice.

JASON - Wow, this is different. Okay shoot.

(THERESA remains serious.)

THERESA - Call Willie. She's not cheating on you. I know Willie, she's my soror and my best friend. I know we've had our ups and downs but what friends haven't? You need to be here with her, not me.

(silence)

JASON - Theresa, I gotta say... I'm impressed. I really am. Thank you.

THERESA - You're very welcome Jason. I think things are gonna work out. That girl loves you and you know it.

(JASON smiles.)

JASON - Thanks.

(THERESA walks up to JASON and gives him a hug.)

THERESA - Now I gotta run but I'll holla at ya later okay?

JASON - Holla.

(THERESA turns to walk out.)

JASON - Theresa I like the new you!

(JASON says laughing.)

THERESA - Ha ha ha thanks!

THERESA thinks - And so does my new man which is gonna piss you the hell off!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CARYN - Aw hell naw!

(DERRICK and CANDACE turn around.)

CARYN - What you got a girlfriend now or some shit?

CANDACE - Excuse me?

(CARYN walks up.)

CARYN - You didn't have to bring Miss Thing with you did you? Huh?

DERRICK - Caryn, I'm only here to see about Lil Derrick okay? Once I get this over with, we'll see what the deal is.

(BOBBY walks in the lobby area.)

BOBBY - I see the gang's all here.

QUINTON - Wassup bruh.

BOBBY - Hey frat, wassup.

(BOBBY and QUINTON exchange the fraternal handshake.)

ALEXIS - Hey Bobby.

BOBBY - Hey Lexie.

(ALEXIS and BOBBY hug.)

CANDACE - Hey Bobby.

BOBBY - Candace! How you doin' girl?

(They hug.)

BOBBY - What's up Derrick.

DERRICK - Hey Bobby, good to see you man.

BOBBY - Yeah.

(They shake hands.)

BOBBY - Circumstances are funny, I'd rather be seeing you at homecoming, but I hear ya.

CARYN - Alright alright already. Let's get this over with shall we?

BOBBY thinks - Sheesh why did I ever even hit that?

(CARYN walks toward the door with BOBBY following and CANDACE and DERRICK behind him.)

CARYN - Hold the hell up! She aint comin'!

DERRICK - She's with me Caryn, and I want her with me during this.

CARYN - No! Just us three!

TRINA - Girl stop trippin'. You even got me dying of suspense. Hurry up! Just let her go damn!

(CARYN lets out a big overexaggerated sigh.)

CAYRN - Alright! But don't be sayin' shit!

(They all disappear behind the double doors.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALEX JEFFERSON reluctantly steps down from the stand. He sits back next to VALERIE EDWARDS.

ALEX - What was that all about? Did you know she was counter suing me?

VALERIE - I had no id...

JUDGE PALMER - Mrs. Edwards.

VALERIE - Yes your honor...

(VALERIE stands up.)

VALERIE - I call the defendant Breanna to the stand.

(BREANNA stands up and takes the oath. She then sits down on the stand. She is perfectly made up from head to toe and hasn't uttered a word since this session began.)

VALERIE - Breanna, what is your relationship to my client?

BREANNA - Relationship?

(She smiles but answers matter of factly.)

BREANNA - Dr. Alex Jefferson was my psychology professor and my lover.

ALEX - Hey wait a minute!

JUDGE PALMER - This is your last outburst Mr. Jefferson or you will be removed from my court room immediately!

(ALEX quiets and clinches his fists together.)

VALERIE - Breanna, I've gone over your records several times. You seem like a nice young lady, never been in trouble before. So let's cut right to the chase.

(VALERIE looks BREANNA straight in the eye.)

VALERIE - Did you strike my client at all on the day in question?

(BREANNA glances at CHRISTIAN before she answers.)

BREANNA - Yes, yes I did. I am sorry for what happened and I am prepared to face the consequences of my actions.

VALERIE - Breanna, if that's the case, why go through with this court proceeding? Why not just face the penalty of your actions?

BREANNA - Because even though what I did was wrong, what Alex did was wrong as well. And he's not even man enough to admit that he was wrong. He lied to me and never told me he was married. With kids no less. He's been with other students beside myself and I...

ALEX - Your honor! Please! This has nothing to do with my case!

VALERIE - Breanna...

(BREANNA stops.)

VALERIE - Breanna, your counter suit. What do you want?

(BREANNA pauses. She glances at STACIE in the audience who is looking right back at her.)

BREANNA - All I want is an apology...

(silence)

BREANNA - ...and to be left alone.

(silence)

VALERIE - No further questions your honor.

JUDGE PALMER - Ms. Jordan.

(CHRISTIAN just stands where she is.)

CHRISTIAN - Breanna, all you want is an apology from the plaintiff... and you are willing to face your own consequences?

BREANNA - Yes.

(silence)

CHRISTIAN - No further questions.

JUDGE PALMER - Thank you Ms. Jordan. Breanna you may step down.

BREANNA - Thank you.

JUDGE PALMER - Counsel, anything else?

VALERIE - No your honor.

JUDGE PALMER - Defense counsel?

CHRISTIAN - No maam, your honor.

JUDGE PALMER - Okay. I will retire to my chambers and deliberate.

(She bangs the gavel down and everyone stands as she exits.)

ALEX - That's it? That's all there is to it?

VALERIE - That's it.

ALEX - But she hit me and now it seems like i'm the one in the wrong.

VALERIE - Are you?

ALEX - Huh?

VALERIE - Alex, you wanted Breanna to be penalized for what she did right?

ALEX - Yeah.

VALERIE - Then you win. The judge is about to render Breanna's penalty.

ALEX - Yeah but I want her kicked out of Ahpla.

VALERIE - That may be the ruling, I don't know. We'll have to wait and see.

ALEX - And I didn't want to look like an asshole in the process! You didn't even try to help!

VALERIE - The bottom line Alex is that you are about to get what you want. Shhh, here comes Judge Palmer.

(They all rise but ALEX accidentally knocks VALERIE's briefcase off the table and onto the floor.)

ALEX - Oh excuse me! I'll get it.

(ALEX bends down to get it. He sees a document from inside the case with the words COUNTER CLAIM ACKNOWLEDGEMENT FORM. He sees BREANNA's name on it and the case number.)

ALEX thinks - What the...

JUDGE PALMER - Mr. Jefferson!

(ALEX bangs his head on the bottom of the table as he tries to get up.)

ALEX - I'm sorry your honor.

(He is holding his head as he hands VALERIE her papers.)

JUDGE PALMER - After carefully looking at the details of this case, let me just say that it is unfortunate how many times I try cases like this in my courtroom. Young lady...

(The judge looks directly at BREANNA.)

JUDGE PALMER - ...be more careful. What you did was wrong and can cause you serious problems in life if that is how you choose to fight your battles or overcome obstacles.

(BREANNA looks down.)

JUDGE PALMER - As for you Mr. Jefferson, the abuse of power is a very serious offense. And the relationship between a proffessor and a student is a power relationship which I know you realize. Luckily for you sir, this court is not your employer, Ahpla University or your penalty would be a lot stiffer.

(She turns back to BREANNA.)

JUDGE PALMER - It is my ruling that you serve seventy five hours of community service, attend twelve hours of anger management courses, and enter a couseling session appointed by this court. As far as your counter claim, I don't think an apology is worth the words that would be said within it. Good luck young lady. This court is adjourned.

(She slams down her gavel.)

ALEX - Community service? That's it?

VALERIE - Alex, you won. That's the penalty the judge ordered. It's a victory for you.

ALEX - But...

(ALEX feels a tap on his shoulder. He turns around.)

PRESIDENT BRYCE - I want your resignation letter in my office by morning.

ALEX - What!

(VALERIE walks over and shakes hands with CHRISTIAN.)

VALERIE - Congratulations. You did a good job on your defense. You'll make a splendid lawyer some day... soror.

(As PRESIDENT BRYCE is leaving, he passes COACH EDWARDS who is seated in the back.)

COACH EDWARDS - Mr. President...

(PRESIDENT BRYCE stops and shakes his hand.)

PRESIDENT BRYCE - Coach.

COACH EDWARDS - ...thanks for coming on such short notice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DERRICK is holding hands with CANDACE. BOBBY is sitting silently. CARYN is sitting next to TRINA. They have all returned to the lobby and are waiting the return of DR. BROOKS.

CARYN - How long does this take? Gosh?

TRINA - It shouldn't be too much longer.

(ALEXIS leans over to QUINTON and whispers in his ear.)

ALEXIS whispers - It does seem like the minutes are ticking by real slow huh?

QUINTON whispers - Yeah, and you can cut the tension between all these cats with a knife.

CANDACE - You okay?

DERRICK - Yeah. I'm straight. You alright?

CANDACE - Just ready to hear whatever this is.

DERRICK - You and me both.

(silence)

(CARYN gets up and walks to the corner. She pulls out her cell phone and makes a call. DERRICK checks his watch.)

TRINA - So Derrick...

(DERRICK looks up.)

DERRICK - Yeah, wassup?

TRINA - The next time yall have a game in Philly, I want you to pass my phone number along to Allen Iverson. Is that cool?

(DERRICK laughs.)

DERRICK - Yeah, sure.

TRINA - I'm serious man! Don't be playin'!

(TRINA smiles. That causes everyone to laugh and lighten up as DR. BROOKS comes out.)

DR. BROOKS - Caryn, Derrick, if you could please follow me into my office. Bobby as well.

(Everyone gets up. CANDACE does as well and they follow the doctor back through the double doors, down the hall, and into his personal office.)

DR. BROOKS - Please have a seat everyone. You can pull up another chair from up against the wall Bobby.

BOBBY - Thanks doc.

(Everyone sits down in the doctor's office. DERRICK and CANDACE are still holding hands.)

DR. BROOKS - I have the test results here and I know with this case everyone is eager to find out so let's get right to it.

(He breaks the seal on the big envelope and starts to pull some papers out.)

DR. BROOKS - I have not had a chance to look at this at all but I did speak with the social worker on the case and he is ready to assist if need be.

CARYN - Okay. So let's find out. Hurry up.

(The doctor pulls the papers out and puts his glasses on. He looks down and reads a little and then looks up to speak.)

DR. BROOKS - Okay, here are the results.

(CANDACE squeezes DERRICK's hand. BOBBY leans forward in his chair and CARYN puts her hands together as if she is about to pray. She closes her eyes.)

DR. BROOKS - Derrick, you are not the father of Lil Derrick.

CARYN - Shit! No! No!

BOBBY - Oh my God!

DERRICK - I'm... I'm not?

DR. BROOKS - No you're not.

(DERRICK lets go of CANDACE's hand and he turns to her. CANDACE and DERRICK hug each other.)

BOBBY - Oh God! Oh God!

(BOBBY pops up to his feet and has his hands on his head.)

BOBBY - I'm a father! I'm really a father!

(CARYN stands up.)

CARYN - No! There must be some mistake! This can't be! I don't want Bobby as my baby father! I want Derrick! Check it again!

DR. BROOKS - Well wait a minute...

(DR. BROOKS continues to read.)

DR. BROOKS - ...Bobby you aren't Lil Derrick's father either.

(silence)

BOBBY - What?

(Everyone is staring at DR. BROOKS.)

CARYN - Excuse me?

DR. BROOKS - Bobby isn't the biological father either.

DERRICK - Oh shit!

CARYN - What! That's impossible! I didn't sleep with anyone else! Honestly I didn't!

BOBBY - I should've known! You ho! I should've known!

CARYN - I didn't sleep with anyone else! Doc this can't be right!

DR. BROOKS - No this test is quite accurate but...

CARYN - That's impossible! That shit is impossible!

DR. BROOKS - But wait wait, the notes here say that through some testing we were able to detect the bioligical father.

CARYN - You were?

DERRICK - How did you do that? How is that possible? Who is it?

DR. BROOKS - Well...

(He is still reading.)

DR. BROOKS - ...we were able to match DNA samples with a prior patient of the hospital who was admitted a few years ago.

(The doctor looks up over his thin rimmed glasses at CARYN.)

DR. BROOKS - Caryn your son's father is...

(DR. BROOKS returns to the paper to read.)

DR. BROOKS - ...his name is...Nino Kevon Daniels.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Why am I about to die? Poor Candace this is going to tear her apart....Caryn should be shot....

Unknown said...

WOW!!! I totally wasn't expecting that...Nino!!!