Saturday, December 15, 2007

Episode 36

WILLIE is in DEXTER's room. They were passionately kissing when they hear a knock on the door.

(There is a knock on the door.)

DEXTER thinks - Oh shit! Katrice!

WILLIE thinks - Damn!

DEXTER - Uh...

(silence)

WILLIE - Look Dex just act normal. I'll sit down.

DEXTER - Yeah, good idea.

WILLIE - Just be cool. Whoever it is, they can go away and maybe we can get a chance to talk.

DEXTER - Yeah, talk.

WILLIE - I think we need to.

DEXTER - Most def.

(silence)

(They kiss quickly one last time. There is another knock on the door.)

DEXTER - Be right there!

WILLIE - Just chill out okay?

DEXTER - Yeah, I'm cool.

(WILLIE sits down as DEXTER wipes his lips walking toward the door.)

WILLIE thinks - What in the world just happened?

(silence)

(WILLIE closes her eys and rubs them.)

WILLIE thinks - I can't believe that just happened! What the hell? I haven't had feelings for Dexter in...in a long damn time!

(WILLIE looks at her watch.)

WILLIE thinks - I need to get up out of here! That's what I need to do. I need to go somewhere and just think. I need some time alone.

(WILLIE glances at DEXTER as he opens his door.)

WILLIE thinks - Yeah, that's what I need. Some alone time. No Jason and definitely no Dexter!

DEXTER - Hey Jason...uh...how you doin' man?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ladies of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority have gathered to have a question and answer session with some of the interested young ladies on Ahpla University's campus.

LEAH - Hey Sharonda. Wassup soror!

SHARONDA - Hi Leah. Hey Kim.

KIM - Wassup girl.

(SHARONDA and KIM hug.)

LEAH - Who ya got witcha soror?

SHARONDA - Sorors, this is my little cousin Miya. Miya these are my sorors from Amgis, Kim and Leah.

KIM - Hi Miya.

MIYA - Hi.

SHARONDA - Are we late?
LEAH - Nope, right on time. We're just getting started.

(Everyone notices SALEEMA who is sitting down and directing the interested young lades to sit as well.)

SHARONDA - Come on Miya, let's go sit down.

MIYA - Okay.

(Everyone sits down and SALEEMA begins.)

SALEEMA - Hello everyone and thanks for coming. As you all were told, this is very informal. That's why we're all dressed a lot more casual. We want to use this time to get to know each of you. This is not an interest meeting. Let me repeat...

(SALEEMA emphasizes this point.)

SALEEMA - ...this is not an interest meeting!

(The Zetas laugh.)

SALEEMA - Basically this is a way for us to get to know yall and a great way for yall to get to know us. We don't want anyone nervous or intimidated. Because I know yall are feeling nervous right now. So everyone stand up.

(Everyone stands up.)

SALEEMA - Everyone take a deep breath.

(They follow along.)

SALEEMA - Now let it out. Relax. Now sit back down with a smile on your face. Now. The purpose of this get together is for you ladies to ask us any questions that you want. There are no questions that are off limits. You can ask what made us choose Zeta. You can ask us questions about your participation in the membership intake process. You can ask anything. Don't be shy. Then we are going to do some group ice breakers and team building activities to get to know yall a little better. So with that being said, who has the first question?

(Nobody raises their hand.)

SALEEMA - Aw come on. I know somebody has a question. Trust me, it's okay. You can ask whatever you want.

(MIYA raises her hand.)

SALEEMA - Good. There's a question. Please stand up and state your name for us.

(MIYA stands up.)

MIYA - Um, my name is Miya Ferguson and I just have a quick question.

SALEEMA - Sure. What is it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(WILLIE glances at DEXTER as he opens his door.)

WILLIE thinks - Yeah, that's what I need. Some alone time. No Jason and definitely no Dexter!

DEXTER - Hey Jason...uh...how you doin' man?

WILLIE thinks - Jason?

(WILLIE turns to look but cannot see JASON because DEXTER is standing in the way.)

JASON - Good man! How you?

DEXTER - Uh...good.

(JASON walks past DEXTER as he steps aside.)

JASON - Am I the first one here?
DEXTER - Uh...

(JASON looks into DEXTER's room and sees WILLIE sitting there.)

JASON - Willie?
WILLIE thinks - Oh shit! Oh shit!

(JASON walks toward her.)

JASON - Hey! How long you been here?

(JASON bends over and kisses WILLIE on the lips.)

WILLIE - Uh, not long.

JASON - Okay good. I was hoping I wasn't running too late.

(JASON sits next to WILLIE as DEXTER is slowly closing his door.)

KATRICE - Hey hey hey, don't close the door on a sister!

(DEXTER turns around and sees KATRICE coming in.)

DEXTER - Oh, I didn't even see you.

KATRICE - See how you are? Keepin' a sista locked out! Ha ha ha ha!

(KATRICE laughs as she reaches up to hug DEXTER.)

KATRICE - Wassup sweetie.

DEXTER - I'm cool, how you?
KATRICE - Good good.

(KATRICE looks past DEXTER and sees JASON sitting next to WILLIE.)

KATRICE - Hey Willie. Hi Jason.

JASON - Hey Katrice.

WILLIE - Hi girl.

(KATRICE sits down.)

JASON - Hey Dex man, I wanna thank you for letting us use your place for the pan hel meeting today. Especially on such short notice like this.

WILLIE thinks - Oh shit! The pan hel meeting is today! I forgot!

JASON - Once everyone else gets here, we can begin.

(There is a knock on the door.)

DEXTER - Uh...can I get someone something to drink?
JASON - Baby you want something?

(silence)

JASON - Willie you want something to drink?
WILLIE - Huh? Who me? Uh...no...no thanks.

JASON - Ha ha ha, sounds like you don't know what you want Willie! Ha ha ha ha ha, get me something Dex.

DEXTER - Okay man.

(DEXTER goes to open the door.)

DEXTER - Hey Brandon.

BRANDON - Hey Dexter. What's the deal man?
DEXTER - I'm cool.

(BRANDON comes in and speaks to everyone as DEXTER goes to get something for JASON to drink. There is a knock on the door.)

BRANDON - I'll get it.

(BRANDON opens the door.)

XAVIER - Hey Brandon.

BRANDON - Wassup Xavier. Come on in.

(XAVIER comes in and speaks to everyone. He sits down and pulls out his pad.)

JASON - Okay we can begin. I got a note from both the Zetas and the SGRhos that they wouldn't be able to attend today's meeting. And I think Sean said he'd be late representing the Iotas. So with that said, yall ready to get started?
DEXTER - Actually before we do that...

(Everyone looks at DEXTER.)

DEXTER - I got one question.

JASON - Yeah sure Dex. What's up?

(DEXTER looks directly at JASON.)

DEXTER - Jason what the hell are you doing here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DERRICK is on the phone with CARYN. He just learned from RONNIE that his ex girlfriend JUNE is getting married and now he has something to ask of CARYN.

CARYN - What? What you gotta ask me boo?

DERRICK - Uh...Caryn...

(DERRICK hesitates.)

DERRICK - Caryn, will you uh...will you...

CARYN - Will I what?
DERRICK - Uh...will you...

CARYN - Wait boo, hold that thought. Gotta get the baby.

(CARYN puts the phone down.)

DERRICK thinks - What the hell is wrong with me! Just say it! Will you marry me!

(silence)

COACH BROWN - Hey! What are you doin' in here Derrick!

(DERRICK looks up from the towel that is on his head. He sees one of his assistant coaches towering over him.)

DERRICK - Coach Brown!

COACH BROWN - Derrick what the hell are you doing? Are you sick? Do you need th medic?
DERRICK - No, I just...

COACH BROWN - Then get your ass back on that court! What you think this is a vacation! You think we sposed to babysit your ass!

DERRICK - No coach, I was just...

COACH BROWN - I was just nothing! I don't wanna hear that shit! Get back out there and hustle your ass! Wasting time in the locker room! Hang that damn phone up!

DERRICK thinks - Shit!

DERRICK - Caryn! Caryn! I gotta go! Caryn!

COACH BROWN - Come on man! Time is money and we pay you a lot of it!

(silence)

(DERRICK hangs up, gets up and follows his coach out.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(MIYA stands up.)

MIYA - Um, my name is Miya Ferguson and I just have a quick question.

SALEEMA - Sure. What is it?

MIYA - What do all the symbols on your shield stand for?

(silence)

(SHARONDA drops her head into her hand and laughs to herself.)

SALEEMA - What?
MIYA - What do all the symbols on your shield stand for?

SALEEMA - I can't...uh...tell you that.

MIYA - Why not? You said we could ask anything we wanted.

(SALEEMA smiles.)

SALEEMA - True true. Okay let me rephrase to be clear. You can ask whatever you want. We however will not answer questions that are secret and only known to members of the organization. Does that clear things up for everyone?

(MIYA sits down. DENICE glances at SHARONDA.)

SHARONDA - What?

(SHARONDA shrugs.)

SALEEMA - Next question.

(ADA raises her hand.)

SALEEMA - Please, stand up.

(ADA stands up.)

ADA - Hello my name is Ada. I want to know how well the greeks get along on this campus. I mean is there bickering and fighting going on? Or is there unity? My brother went here years ago and he said there was constant fighting which is why he never chose to join a fraternity.

(ADA sits down. DENICE chooses to answer that question.)

DENICE - On Ahpla's yard now, relations with the fraternities and sororities is pretty good. As a matter of fact, there is a pan hel council meeting tonight. It's just that we had this event already scheduled and could not be in attendance with them. But most of the greeks get along fine. As you may know, the last line to pledge Phi Beta Sigma is the first line here at Ahpla for our brothers.

SHARONDA - And her boyfriend is one of em! Ewwwwwwww!

(Everyone busts out laughing. DENICE smiles.)

DENICE - Shut up girl. Anyway, yes my boyfriend is a Sigma. And the brothers of Iota just started a chapter here as well. So we get along great. We have another step show coming up soon where we get to defend out championship!

(The Zetas clap and throw up their sign.)

DENICE - So maybe yall will be blessed enough to be a part of that as well.

SALEEMA - Thank you Denice. That was a good question Ada. Who's next?

(Nobody raises their hand.)

SALEEMA - Nobody? Okay tell ya what. I can tell yall are still nervous and don't want to speak up. This is what we're gonna do. I want half of the group to go to this side of the room, and the other half to go to the other side. Now, I want you to huddle up and think of some creative way to express your interest in Zeta Phi Beta Sorority incorporated. It could be a poem, a song, a dance, whatever you want. This will help you guys bond some and get to know one another. As well as loosen the tension in here. So everyone get up and go.

(Everyone starts to move.)

SALEEMA - You only have ten minutes. So make it good. We'll see which group does better.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ahpla University pan hellenic council is meeting in DEXTER's room. As the meeting gets underway, DEXTER asks JASON a serious question.

(XAVIER comes in and speaks to everyone. He sits down and pulls out his pad.)

JASON - Okay we can begin. I got a note from both the Zetas and the SGRhos that they wouldn't be able to attend today's meeting. And I think Sean said he'd be late. So with that said, yall ready to get started?
DEXTER - Actually before we do that...

(Everyone looks at DEXTER.)

DEXTER - I got one question.

JASON - Yeah sure Dex. What's up?

(DEXTER looks directly at JASON.)

DEXTER - Jason what the hell are you doing here?

JASON - What?
DEXTER - I thought you said you weren't gonna make it to tonight's meeting and that Katrice was gonna run it. Something about you being out of town.

JASON - Oh. I was supposed to go home this week for a family event but they postponed it. So I got to stay. I'm sorry I didn't send an email out to let everyone know. But I did tell Katrice.

KATRICE - Yeah, I knew.

(DEXTER looks at WILLIE who is staring back at him.)

DEXTER - Oh okay. Cool.

JASON - If there aren't anymore questions, let's get started. What do you have first Katrice?

KATRICE - Okay the first order of business is the unity picnic. Now I spoke with Mrs. Miller in the student life office and she told me that we could do the picnic.

JASON - Good.

KATRICE - But we had to assure them that there would be no alcohol or glass bottles on the yard.

JASON -Hmmmm.

KATRICE - I think that makes sense for obvious reasons, it's just that how do we monitor...

(DEXTER is pretending to be writing down notes but he keeps looking up at WILLIE. She is doing much of the same. Their eyes meet. She flashes a subtle, suggestive smile, then turns to pay attention to what JASON is saying who is seated next to her.)

JASON - ...is what we need to do. That way, the Kappas will be responsible for...

DEXTER thinks - I can't believe I just kissed on Willie. What the hell is goin' on?

WILLIE thinks - I need to break up with Jason and just clear my head. I'm not gonna get mixed up in some crazy love triangle. And Dexter aint even a person I need to be foolin' with anyway. He probably hasn't changed a bit! Let one of his bruhs show up and we'll see the kid in him again. I hate the way them negroes act!

DEXTER thinks - I don't want to be in a relationship, shit! Especially with naggin' ass Willie. She used to be all up in my ear complainin' about shit twenty four seven. I aint tryin' to go back to that shit. I don't know how Jason puts up wit...

KATRICE - So what do you think Dexter? Can you get your bruhs to do that?

(silence)

DEXTER - I'm sorry. To do what?
KATRICE - Boy you aint payin' attention to me!

(Everyone laughs. Except WILLIE.)

DEXTER - I'm sorry Katrice. What were you saying?

(KATRICE sighs.)

KATRICE - I said, maybe you could get your bros to post up at certain spots on the yard and monitor people coming in and out. They can't bring any bottles on the yard. Is that doable?
DEXTER - Yeah. Sure. I can handle them doin' that.

KATRICE - Okay cool. You got that Z?

(XAVIER is taking minutes.)

XAVIER - Got it.

KATRICE - Now Brandon, since there are more Sigmas then Omegas, I think yall should help out with the...

DEXTER thinks - Yeah, me and Willie need to have a serious conversation. This shit aint cool. I aint tryin to get back into what the hell I was trying to get out of! Fo sho! So that shit is out and I just need to be out! Because...

KATRICE - Dexter!

(DEXTER is startled and jumps in his chair.)

KATRICE - What's wrong with you man? Are you here with us or not?
DEXTER - My bad yall. I just got some things on my mind.

(DEXTER glances at WILLIE who looks away but KATRICE catches both their glances.)

(silence)

KATRICE - Excuse me yall.

(KATRICE stands up.)

KATRICE - Dexter, can I speak to you alone for a few minutes?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DERRICK walks back on the court with his teammates who are running drills.

COACH BROWN - Now get your ass back on that floor and run some lay up drills!

DERRICK - Aight coach.

DERRICK thinks - Damn, what an asshole!

(DERRICK immediately gets the ball and starts to warm up with some layups.)

TYRELL - You sick man? Wassup?
DERRICK - Naw I had to take an important call. About my son.

TYRELL - Oh word? Is he okay? I didn't know you had kids man.

DERRICK - Well actually I don't have kids of my own yet.

TYRELL - Didn't you just say your son? Did you adopt?

(TYRELL shoots the ball. DERRICK is in line next to shoot.)

DERRICK - Naw, I didn't adopt. My girl has a son...well she's not really my girl...well she is...it's confusing.

TYRELL - You sound like the one who's confused bro. Ha ha ha ha ha. Is she your girl or not? Is he your son or not? What's the deal playboy?

(DERRICK shoots.)

DERRICK - Man, I don't even know anymore.

TYRELL - Well it seems like you need to un-confuse yourself first bruh. Know what I mean?

(silence)

COACH BROWN - Derrick! Keep your ass shootin' man!

DERRICK - Okay!

TYRELL - My bad D. Didn't mean to get you caught up with coach man.

DERRICK - Naw, it's okay. He's been on my case for some other shit. He just likes screamin' my name.

(TYRELL laughs as DERRICK shoots again.)

COACH MILLER - Okay guys listen. We're gonna run that defense against the triangle offense that the Lakers run. Everybody get in place.

(Everyone starts to move into place.)

DERRICK thinks - Damn, Ty is right. What the hell am I doing? I don't know if I'm coming or going nowadays.

COACH MILLER - Okay, now the way they do it is this. Kobe usually runs up top off the screen and he checks down low. So if we double team Shaq...

DERRICK thinks - I gotta think about what I need to do. Do I want to marry Caryn? Do I need to even be married! And what about this shit with June. Damn that hurts but I hope she's happy.

COACH MILLER - So one...two...three...and the ball is kicked back out like this. So then...

DERRICK thinks - And Candace. Damn I probably screwed up any chance with her. And she's so cool! Damn! I need a vacation or some shit where I can just get away and think.

(DERRICK is standing on the side and watching his coaches explain the defense.)

DERRICK thinks - Damn. I'm about t ask Caryn to marry me. What the hell!

COACH MILLER - Okay let's run this. Uh...Ty, Joe, Frank, Derrick and Roger get in there.

(All the players step in.)

COACH MILLER - Okay, ball comes down. One!

(The ball is passed to ROGER. He looks around.)

COACH MILLER - Two!

(ROGER passes the ball to DERRICK.)

COACH MILLER - Good! Three!

(DERRICK passes the ball to TYRELL who misses it.)

COACH MILLER - Derrick I said three! Why did you pass it to Ty? You were supposed to kick it back out to Roger!

COACH BROWN - Derrick get over here! Smitty, get in there for Derrick!

DERRICK thinks - Dammit! Shit!

(DERRICK runs over to COACH BROWN.)

COACH BROWN - What the hell is the matter with you!

DERRICK - Coach, this just isn't a good day for me. I got some serious issues back home on my mind.

COACH BROWN - Well I got serious issues right here on my court! When you're off work, you deal with your serious ass issues! When you're at work, you deal with me and I aint got time to...you know what? Go ahead and shower up. Stop wasting my time. Get out of here for the day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ladies of Zeta Phi Beta sorority are having a question and answer session with some interested ladies. They have separated the group out to work on a team building activity.

ADA - So what do yall think we should do? I want to make this good.

MIYA - I can write poetry real good. Let's do a poem.

ADA - Good idea Miya. Everyone down with that idea?

(All the interested ladies are in agreement.)

MIYA - Okay let me get a pen and some paper.

(MIYA grabs her bag and pulls it out.)

MIYA - Okay, what should it be about. I need some suggestions.

ADA - Well definitely talk about Zeta Phi Beta being the best choice.

MIYA - Uh huh.

(MIYA is writing.)

LAUREL - And I think you should mention the colors. And the year nineteen twenty.

MIYA - Uh huh.

ADA - Oh and mention the Sigmas as well.

MIYA - Uh huh.

LAUREL - And can you mention how well they did in the homecoming step show last year?
MIYA - Uh huh.

SALEEMA - Five minutes ladies!

ADA - Oooh, we gotta hurry. Anything else?
LAUREL - How about the unity on campus. Denice said that was important here at Ahpla. Why don't you mention that.

MIYA - Uh huh.

(MIYA is quickly writing.)

ADA - Yeah, that's good. The unity on campus. You got all that?
MIYA - Yeah...almost...done...

ADA - Wow, you're fast. Did we leave anything out? Anybody else?

(Everyone else in their group is silent but liking the idea.)

MIYA - ...almost...done...

LAUREL - Okay so what about if we add...

ADA - We're not gonna have time to add anything else. See!

(SALEEMA stands up to call everyone back.)

LAUREL - Well read it real quick Miya so we can see what you got.

MIYA - Done! Okay listen...

SALEEMA - Time! Everyone come back to the middle here. Come on.

MIYA - Dag!

ADA - Well I'm sure it's fine. You were working fast girl! Ha ha ha ha!

(ADA throws her arm around MIYA's shoulder as they walk back to their original seats.)

SALEEMA - Okay, I hope this will help loosen up some of this tension in the room. Alright. Did everyone complete their assignments?

(Everyone says yes.)

SALEEMA - Good. Who wants to go first?

(MIYA quickly raises her hand.)

SALEEMA - Okay Miss Ferguson. Please tell us what your group has prepared.

(MIYA smiles and stands up with her paper.)

MIYA - My group decided to prepare a poem.

SALEEMA - Oh good. We love poetry. Please, go right ahead.

(MIYA smiles again.)

MIYA - Ahem. You know those AKAs, better known as Federal Express.

Because my sister got her letters in three days or less!

This is a serious matter, or so they say

but this is more serious for an AKA.

You act so high and mighty cuz you're the first sorority.

But you couldn't keep your members so you founded DST.

You know those Deltas, they think they got it goin' on.

But they got more members than the Nation of Islam.

They don't even know each other, how the hell could this be?

Me and my sister were on the yard and they tried to ooo-oop me!

And I know you know the outcasts wearing the blue and gold.

Their letters aren't real because the Sigma part they stole!

They're last on the list and you know how you can tell?

They were the happiest group when Iota frat joined the pan hel!

That's why we all want Zeta cuz Zeta is so damn fly!

And if we get in the sorority we'll represent til the day we die!

(MIYA smiles and takes her seat.)

(silence)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DERRICK throw his bag over his shoulder and leaves the locker room. Practice is still going on but he has already showered and changed.

(DERRICK pulls his phone out and dials.)

CANDACE - Hello?

No comments: