Saturday, December 15, 2007

Episode 44

CANDACE pulls out her cell phone. She calls DERRICK.

DERRICK - Hey!

CANDACE - Hey! I'm here!

DERRICK - Really? Where are you?

CANDACE - I'm at baggage claim now.

DERRICK - Cool! I can't wait to see you!

CANDACE - I can't wait to see you either.

DERRICK - Now look, you gotta be real careful okay?

CANDACE -Careful of what?

DERRICK - There are a lot of guys in Dallas that would try and holla at a beautiful girl like yourself.

(CANDACE laughs.)

CANDACE - I think I can take care of myself.

DERRICK - Don't be so sure. I wouldn't put anything past some of these guys.

CANDACE - Oh really?

(CANDACE laughs again.)

DERRICK - For instance, that guy standing right behind you...he's real shady!

CANDACE - What!

(CANDACE quickly turns around. DERRICK is standing there with a dozen long stem roses and a teddy bear wearing his jersey.)

DERRICK - Hey!

CANDACE - Derrick!

(She jumps up and hugs him.)

CANDACE - You're supposed to be at the hotel! What are you doing here!

DERRICK - I couldn't wait to see you.

CANDACE - Oh my God!

(He gives her the roses and the teddy bear.)

CANDACE - Oh my God! Thank you so much!

(She hugs him again, this time backing up to give him a kiss.)

DERRICK thinks - Wow!

CANDACE thinks - Wow!

CANDACE - Thank you! Thank you!

DERRICK - You're welcome! You're welcome! Do you see your bag?

CANDACE - Uh...oh yeah! There it is!

(DERRICK walks over and grabs her bag.)

DERRICK - Okay. Ready to roll?

CANDACE - Sure!

DERRICK - We're gonna stop by the hotel and get you all settled into your room. Then we go to the arena and you can get your seat.

CANDACE - Okay.

DERRICK - After that, we're gonna go out to eat. There's a nice place here called Sambucas. They got live jazz tonight.

CANDACE - Oh cool!

DERRICK - Then we got the rest of the weekend to chill. I got a whole bunch of places we can go to so it should be real fun!

CANDACE - Wow, it sounds like it! Well I'm definitely ready to have a good time.

DERRICK - Me too.

(CANDACE smiles as she takes DERRICK's hand. They walk out to his driver.)

CANDACE - We're gonna have a great time!

DERRICK - Yeah!

DERRICK thinks - I hope it's still great when I tell you my baby mamma drama!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALEX JEFFERSON is meeting with his new lawyer, VALERIE EDWARDS. They are discussing his case against BREANNA.

ALEX - How long you and Coach been married?

VALERIE - Nine years.

ALEX - Wow, nine years. So you guys are veterans at this thing huh? You got it down pat.

VALERIE - I wouldn't say all that Alex.

(VALERIE keeps writing and doesn't see ALEX stand up and pick up a picture off her desk.)

ALEX - Well you must have seen it all in nine years. Ups and downs.

(ALEX looks at the picture of VALERIE and COACH EDWARDS.)

VALERIE - I guess.

(VALERIE is still writing.)

ALEX - Well, since you know how the game works...

(VALERIE looks up when ALEX places her picture down on her desk...face down.)

ALEX - ...you wanna play a little?

(silence)

(VALERIE stops writing and looks up. ALEX is smiling back at her.)

VALERIE - What did you say?

ALEX - Oh...I was just wondering if you wanted to...ya know...get a little...

(ALEX starts to walk around VALERIE's desk toward her.)

ALEX - ...get a little more familiar with one another.

(VALERIE calmly takes off her glasses and sets them on the table.)

VALERIE - Alex, let me make a few things clear to you.

(ALEX stops walking and VALERIE looks him straight in the eye.)

VALERIE - I am handling your case as a favor to my husband...your friend. And I'll handle your case...in the manner that it needs to be handled.

(ALEX starts to slowly walk back to the chair he was sitting in.)

VALERIE - I haven't lost a case Alex. But I'm not doing this one because I have to, or because I need the money or to improve on my record. I'm doing this one as a favor...

(VALERIE picks her picture back up and places it on her desk.)

VALERIE - ...to my husband.

(silence)

VALERIE - So if you wouldn't mind...Dr. Jefferson, sit back down...

(VALERIE puts her glasses back on.)

VALERIE - ...and let's continue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XAVIER opens his door and GREGG walks in.

XAVIER - Wassup G.

GREGG - Wassup.

(XAVIER closes the door and GREGG goes right for the fridge.)

GREGG - What you doin' today man?

XAVIER - I gotta write an article for the paper.

GREGG - You late on it again?

XAVIER - Bruh.

GREGG - I don't know why you can't have those things written on time.

(XAVIER plops down on the couch.)

XAVIER - Huh? What you mean?

GREGG - You know the school paper comes out every week. You know you have to have your article done every Friday.

XAVIER - Yeah? So?

GREGG - So if you know that going in, why can't you just have it ready and on time? You're late with it every week! And look, you're layin' around now like you aint got nothin' to do.

XAVIER - I aint laying around.

GREGG - You aint typin'.

XAVIER - Man you gotta have an idea. A storyline or something. You can't just start typing.

GREGG - Whatever man.

XAVIER - Plus it aint like I'm gettin' paid to do this. The school newspaper can't fire me.

GREGG - Whatever. I bet if I got some wood on your ass you'd do that shit.

(XAVIER laughs.)

XAVIER - Whatever G.

(GREGG sits down.)

XAVIER - What you got planned? You aint got nothin' to do?

GREGG - I don't know man. I may catch up on some reading.

XAVIER - Oh.

(GREGG's cell phone rings.)

GREGG - Wassup Mike.

MIKE - Gregg! The bros and the Alphas are fighting!

(GREGG sits up.)

GREGG - What!

MIKE - I can't talk long! I gotta find Mona! But a fight in the happy hour turned into an all out brawl man! The bros from Amgis and a bunch of punk ass Alphas!

GREGG - Where are you now!

(silence)

GREGG - Hello! Mike! Mike!

(GREGG trys to call MIKE back.)

GREGG - Yo Z! The Nupes and the Alphas just got to fighting!

XAVIER - What!

GREGG - Dammit! Mike just called but now he's not answering his phone!

(XAVIER jumps up and grabs his book bag.)

GREGG - You trying to get into the fight?

XAVIER - Heck no!

(XAVIER runs for the door.)

XAVIER - This may be just the story I need!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VALERIE - I haven't lost a case Alex. But I'm not doing this one because I have to, or because I need the money or to improve on my record. I'm doing this one as a favor...

(VALERIE picks her picture back up and places it on her desk.)

VALERIE - ...to my husband.

(silence)

VALERIE - So if you wouldn't mind...Dr. Jefferson, sit back down...

(VALERIE puts her glasses back on.)

VALERIE - ...and let's continue.

ALEX - Uh...sure.

VALERIE - Okay. Now is the information that you gave me...

ALEX - Wait, can I ask you one more thing quickly? Please?

(silence)

VALERIE - Does it have to do with our work Alex?

ALEX - Yes. Yes it does.

VALERIE - Then sure.

ALEX - Actually it has to do with us continuing our work.

VALERIE - Ask your question Dr.

ALEX - You aren't gonna tell...Coach about...well...you know.

VALERIE - I know. And no. You keep your mind on the case, and you won't have to worry about my husband. Deal?

(ALEX smiles a big smile.)

ALEX - Deal!

VALERIE thinks - I can't believe this jerk!

VALERIE - Okay Alex. Is there anything else you need to tell me? Any other information that I don't know?

ALEX - I don't think so. I think I told you everything.

VALERIE - Okay. So let me ask you this.

ALEX - Shoot.

VALERIE - What do you think Breanna's defense will be? What do you think she will say when she is questioned in court?

(ALEX pauses.)

ALEX - Um...

(ALEX looks away as if he is thinking.)

ALEX - ...she'll probably say...knowing her...she'll probably say that I came on to her. Or something.

(VALERIE starts writing.)

VALERIE - Are you sure that's what she'd say?

ALEX - Yeah. That's what she's gonna say.

VALERIE - Okay.

(silence)

VALERIE - Why do you think she'd say that?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XAVIER runs downstairs to the lobby of the dorm.

XAVIER - Oh my God! This may be the biggest story of the year! This'll be on the front page!

(XAVIER looks around the lobby. There are a few students in the lobby.)

XAVIER - Okay, I know nobody on campus knows about this fight yet or else these people would've ran over there to check it out.

(XAVIER steps outside and looks around.)

XAVIER - I'm gonna have to get a cab or something!

(XAVIER sees a car pull up. The car has an Alpha Phi Alpha tag around the front license plate.)

XAVIER - Oh God! Who is this!

(LARRY is driving and there is another guy in the passenger seat.)

XAVIER - Oh shoot!

(XAVIER walks to the driver side of the car.)

XAVIER - Larry!

(LARRY lowers the window.)

LARRY - Hey Xavier, what's up big baby.

XAVIER - You got a new car?

(LARRY looks over at his passenger and laughs. Then back at XAVIER.)

LARRY - Naw baby, this is my dean's car. He just let me use it for a few. Do you know Max? Max, this is Xavier.

MAX - What's up man.

XAVIER - Hey. Listen, Larry, did you hear what happened at the happy hour near Amgis?

LARRY - No, what happened?

XAVIER - A huge fight broke out between your frat brothers and my frat brothers!

LARRY - Are you serious?

XAVIER - Very! Would you mind driving me there? I need to get some information for the school paper about it.

LARRY - Sure man, jump in! Let's ride!

MAX - I'm gonna stay here so I'll catch you later man.

LARRY - Okay.

(MAX gets out as XAVIER jumps in. LARRY takes off.)

LARRY - So what went down?

XAVIER - I really don't know. We just got a call from Mike and he told us and then his phone went out.

LARRY - Damn!

XAVIER - But I need a story for the paper. I was thinking I could at least talk to my frat and find out what happened and put together a story. I may not be able to interview any Alphas. That may not be the safest thing in the world right now.

LARRY - Yeah, true.

(silence)

LARRY - Well why don't you interview me. Put me in it.

XAVIER - You?

LARRY - Yeah, that way your article won't look one sided.

(XAVIER thinks about it.)

XAVIER - But you weren't in the fight. Or even at the fight.

LARRY - But I'll be there afterward. Just like everybody else in the crowd. What's the difference?

XAVIER - Good point!

(XAVIER reaches into his book bag and pulls out a pad and pen.)

XAVIER - Okay Larry, you just keep driving. I'll ask you a few questions about what you saw and write your answers down.

LARRY - Cool beans my man.

XAVIER - So Larry...

(XAVIER puts his pen on the paper to write.)

XAVIER - ...when the fight broke out, were you and April in the vicinity of the scuffle? And what is the nature of your relationship with April anyway?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CANDACE is standing in the hall way of the arena, waiting for DERRICK to come out of the locker room.

(CANDACE's cell phone rings.)

CANDACE - Hello?

ALEXIS - Eeeeeyip!

CANDACE - Eeeeyip soror!

ALEXIS - Hi!

CANDACE - Hey Lexie! What's up girl?

ALEXIS - I just wanted to call you and say the call. That's all.

(CANDACE laughs.)

CANDACE - Happy huh?

ALEXIS - Oh gosh! I've tried on every stitch of Sigma Gamma Rho para I got! I've been in the mirror all day seeing how I look in my new rhoyal blue!

(CANDACE laughs even harder.)

CANDACE - Well that's good.

ALEXIS - What's up with you...soror?

CANDACE - Derrick just finished playing.

ALEXIS - Oh, did he score the twenty eight for ya?

CANDACE - He scored twenty five. Close enough.

ALEXIS - That is so cool what he's doing for you. We're all excited about where this whole thing may go for yall.

(CANDACE smiles.)

CANDACE - I am too. But girl, this hotel he has me in! My God!

ALEXIS - Phat huh?

CANDACE - Lex, it's called the mansion. It is strictly for ballas! I mean plush plush plush! When you first walk in...oh wait...here he comes. I gotta go girl.

ALEXIS - Oooh oooh! Call me later! Have a good time! Eeeeyip!

(CANDACE laughs as she hangs up.)

CANDACE - Hey!

DERRICK - Hey! Sorry about the score.

CANDACE - Derrick you played great! Don't worry about three points. Ha ha ha!

(DERRICK laughs.)

CANDACE - So you ready to go eat?

DERRICK - Am I? I'm always starvin' after I play. Come on.

(They start to walk out together.)

DERRICK thinks - Tell her now! Tell her now.

CANDACE - I didn't get to tell you how nice my room is. Well I guess you know that already! Hee hee hee!

DERRICK thinks - Tell her now!

CANDACE - And I loooked through the tourist book in my room. The restaurant looks great and the place we're going tomorrow, the planetarium looks great too!

DERRICK thinks - Tell her now! Tell her!

CANDACE - Derrick?

DERRICK - Yeah?

CANDACE - You're not still worrying about those three points are you?

(DERRICK laughs.)

DERRICK - No.

(silence)

DERRICK - Candace, hold on a minute.

(They stop walking and he turns to her.)

DERRICK - Candace, there's something I have to tell you.

CANDACE thinks - Uh oh! Please God don't make this too good to be true!

No comments: