Saturday, December 15, 2007

Episode 34

CANDACE gets off the campus shuttle bus. She is now walking to the designated place where she is supposed to meet DERRICK.


CANDACE thinks - I wonder if all that Ken said about Derrick is really true. Well, I know Ken would never lie to me but he has been known to stretch the truth a little bit.

(CANDACE looks at her watch. She is a few minutes early. She goes to the soda machine in the meantime.)

CANDACE thinks - I know he is looking out for my best interest but I'm a big girl. I can take care of myself. I think.

(CANDACE smiles to herself as she drops the coins into the machine to buy a Diet Coke.)

CANDACE thinks - And who said I like Derrick anyway? I don't know anything about him. We're just hanging out. Just friends. That's all. Just friends.

(She begins to walk back to the place while she drinks her Coke.)

CANDACE thinks - He is cute though. And damn if I aint a sucker for tall brothers.

(CANDACE smiles as she sits down to wait.)

CANDACE thinks - I just know that I haven't been on a date in a lon...

(CANDACE thinks about when she dated JERRELL.)

CANDACE thinks - Well I can't count him. He was a liar. I haven't been on a real date with a real man in a long time. Too long. So I think this is very necessary.

(She checks her watch and realizes that DERRICK is now five minutes late.)

CANDACE thinks - I guess he should be here any minute.

(CANDACE gets up and walks to the newspaper bin. She picks up one of the campus newspapers, The Sands.)

CANDACE thinks - Let's see what's news around here.

(CANDACE reads the first story which is national news and student's opinions on the war in Iraq.)

CANDACE thinks - That war was some bs. I agree.

(She checks her watch and sees that DERRICK is more than ten minutes late.)

CANDACE thinks - We did say we'd meet here didn't we?

CANDACE looks around and doesn't see DERRICK approaching. She pulls out her cell phone to check her messages.)

CANDACE thinks - He didn't call.

(She waits five more minutes then dials.)

CANDACE thinks - Let me just go ahead and call him.

DERRICK - Hello.

CANDACE - Hi Derrick, it's Candace.

DERRICK - Oh hi. I'm sorry I'm running late but I ran into a little problem.

CANDACE - Oh, is everything okay?
DERRICK - Yeah, uh it's okay. I'll be there in a few minutes.

CANDACE - Oh okay.

(They hang up and CANDACE finishes her Coke. She puts it in the trash and grabs the paper again.)

CANDACE thinks - Oh, Xavier wrote this article on the Greeks. Let me see what he has to say.

(She starts to read the article in the Greek Corner of The Sands.)

CANDACE thinks - I thought I heard the Kappas were under investigation or something. I don't know, I'll ask Paula. She knows everything!

(CANDACE looks up and sees a few students walking by. She doesn't see DERRICK so she continues to read.)

CANDACE thinks - Dag, he's almost a half hour late. I hope his problem wasn't something too serious.

(She looks up again and sees some people coming her way. She then sees DERRICK because he is so tall.)

CANDACE - Oh good, there he is.

(She smiles as she puts the paper down and stands up.)

CANDACE thinks - I don't wanna look too anxious. But I really am.

(CANDACE laughs to herself but as DERRICK walks closer, she notices someting very unusual.)

CANDACE thinks - Wait a minute...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LARRY is walking past the Ivy Towers in the direction of his dorm when he sees a familiar face sitting alone out front.

LARRY thinks - Is that...

(He walks closer and takes a closer look. She has her head down but he knows who it is.)

LARRY - Hey there.

(APRIL looks up.)

LARRY - Wassup Apey Ape!

APRIL - Hey Larry.

LARRY - What's goin' on?
APRIL - Nothin' much. Just out here thinking.

LARRY - Well that's not good exercise. You should never think...like me.

(APRIL smiles.)

APRIL - You know that was grammatically incorrect right?
LARRY - See what I mean?

(She laughs.)

APRIL - You're silly.

LARRY - So what's goin' on? You don't look so happy.

APRIL - I'm okay. I'm just sitting here.

LARRY - You don't sound okay. What's wrong?
APRIL - Nothing.

LARRY - I'm a psyche major. You can't fool a fool. What's the matter? You don't wanna talk about it?
APRIL - No it isn't that. It's just...oh nothing.

(LARRY pretends to be writing on an imaginary pad of paper in his hand.)

LARRY - Patient is reluctant to speak. Uses the phrase oh nothing a lot. This phrase commonly associated with oh something, but spoken as oh nothing. A common ploy of the female to coax the male to continue for nine hours asking what's wrong. Hmmmmmmm, very interesting.

(APRIL laughs. LARRY grabs her wrist to take her pulse.)

LARRY - Blood pressure is normal.

(APRIL laughs.)

APRIL - That won't check blood pressure silly! Your pulse checks your heart rate! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!
LARRY - Patient attempting to tell doctor how to do his job!

(APRIL laughs.)

APRIL - Why are you so silly Larry?
LARRY - Because if you can't laugh shit off in life, then you're living too seriously. For real. And that is the one thing I want to prove to my dad.

APRIL - Your dad?
LARRY - My father never smiles. He is so serious and he hates the fact that I am the way I am. So he wants me to...

(LARRY straightens up and imitates his father's voice.)

LARRY -...straighten up, be a man! Put away childish things like the bible says! Stop being so silly boy! People won't ever take you seriously! When I was your age I had three jobs and I walked to all of em! And when I was a young man I worked in the field all day! From sun up to sun down!

(APRIL giggles.)

LARRY - And when I was a boy we couldn't afford no damn mule! So I pulled the plow myself!

(APRIL laughs.)

LARRY - And when I was a boy, we couldn't afford no furnace! So I kept running around the living room to generate heat for my nine brothers and sisters!

APRIL - Oh my gosh! Ha ha ha ha ha!

(LARRY stops and laughs too.)

LARRY - Feel better now? Laughter does a lot to make you feel better.

APRIL - A little I guess.

(APRIL puts her head back down and starts to play with a flower she has been twirling around her fingers since she sat down.)

LARRY - A little? All this comedy I'm givin' you and you only feel a little better?
APRIL - Well I...

LARRY - Come on.

(LARRY grabs APRIL's hand and pulls her up.)

APRIL - What are you doin?

LARRY - Come on.

APRIL - Where are we going? Boy where are you taking me?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CANDACE notices something very unusual as DERRICK approaches.

CANDACE thinks - Wait a minute...is he bringing...

(CANDACE starts to walk toward DERRICK trying very hard to maintain her smile.)

CANDACE - Hi.

DERRICK - Hi Candace. I'm so sorry I'm late. Let me explain.

CANDACE - This must be...Little Derrick. How cute! Hi little man!

DERRICK - See what happened was...

CANDACE thinks - You bring a baby on a date?
CANDACE - Can I hold him?
DERRICK - Sure. See his mother is going through some problems and she is very nervous about some things that are happening in the life of the baby so I thought it would be better if I kept Derrick while...

(As soon as DERRICK lets the baby go to CANDACE, the baby starts crying. Loud.)

CANDACE - Oh...don't cry...don't cry...

DERRICK - Aw come on Lil D. He usually likes to go to girls.

(CANDACE hands him back but he doesn't stop crying. He only gets louder.)

DERRICK - Alright alright. Calm down now.

(DERRICK reaches into his shoulder bag to find something to pacify the baby.)

DERRICK - Okay okay...shhhhhhh...okay okay...

(The baby starts to kick and scream.)

CANDACE thinks - O...kay. Just keep smiling.

(CANDACE watches as DERRICK fumbles with the bag.)

CANDACE - Here, let me help.

DERRICK - Thanks.

(CANDACE reaches into the bag and grabs a pacifier.)

CANDACE - Here lil man.

(CANDACE places the pacifier in his mouth and he spits it out and screams even louder. He starts to kick as he wails.)

CANDACE - Uh...

DERRICK - Candace I'm real sorry, give me a minute okay? He doesn't normally do this.

CANDACE - Uh sure. Take your time.

DERRICK - Thanks.

(DERRICK sits down and tries to calm the baby down while CANDACE stands there looking on.)

CANDACE - You know Derrick, maybe we can do this some other time.

DERRICK - No no, it's okay. I swear he normally doesn't act up like this. He is a real quiet kid.

CANDACE - Well...okay.

(The more DERRICK tries the worse it gets.)

DERRICK - I think he's just sleepy.

CANDACE - Oh.

(CANDACE looks around as people are passing by and looking.)

CANDACE - Derrick look. It's really okay. We can do this some other time alright?

(DERRICK looks up at CANDACE with a disappointed look on his face.)

DERRICK - Candace I apologize. If I had known that...

CANDACE - No, it's okay. Really. There was no way for you to know. I'll talk to you later okay?
DERRICK - Okay. Can I call you later?
CANDACE - Yes. Do that. Take care.

DERRICK - Alright. Bye.

CANDACE - Bye.

(CANDACE turns and walks away. She glances back and DERRICK is still trying to quiet his son.)

CANDACE thinks - God! What was that about?

(She pulls out her cell phone as she turns the corner.)

PAULA - Hey, I thought you were supposed to be out on a date.

CANDACE - I thought so too. Wait til you hear what happened.

PAULA - Well before you get into that, I got some news for you.

CANDACE - Oh yeah? What's up?
PAULA - For some reason, I can't seem to find the sorors. They've all fallen off the face of the earth. Jenn, Ros, all of em.

CANDACE - Huh?

PAULA - And I need them around so we can cross Alexis.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JAHANNA is in her room falling asleep in front of the television when her phone rings.

(JAHANNA answers.)

JAHANNA - Hello?
ADA - Hello Jahanna? This is Ada.

JAHANNA - Ada?

(JAHANNA is trying to remember who ADA is.)

ADA - We met at the interest meeting.

JAHANNA - Interest meeting?
ADA - For Zeta Phi Beta sorority incorporated.

JAHANNA thinks - Oh shit!
JAHANNA - Oh...uh...

ADA - Is this a bad time?
JAHANNA - Well no Ada, um, it's just that...

ADA - Good! How you doin' girl? I am so excited! I've already spoken to Denice and Sharonda! And the word from the grape vine says that they women of Zeta Phi Beta sorority incorporated from Amgis College may have...a lot...to do with the intake process this year, if you know what I mean.

(ADA giggles as JAHANNA continues to try and get a word in.)

JAHANNA - Ada...

ADA - So that means that they will be possibly coming over and participating greatly with what is going on! Isn't that great!

JAHANNA - I mean...I guess but Ada...

ADA - And another thing is that the...

JAHANNA - Ada!

ADA - Huh?
JAHANNA thinks - Gosh!

JAHANNA - Ada, I'm not interested in pledging Zeta Phi Beta.

ADA - Huh? You aren't?

JAHANNA - No, I'm not.

ADA - Why not? What changed your mind?
JAHANNA - Nothing changed it. I never was interested in pledging Zeta.

ADA - Then why were you at the interest meeting?

JAHANNA - To make a long story short, I was helping out a...

(JAHANNA pauses.)

JAHANNA - ...friend.

(silence)

ADA - Oh...so your interest wasn't at least peaked by being there?
JAHANNA - No. I'm sorry Ada.

ADA - No it's okay. Your loss. Nice meeting you.

JAHANNA thinks - My loss?

(ADA hangs up.)

JAHANNA - Hello? Hello...well damn.

(JAHANNA hangs up.)

JAHANNA thinks - Whatever. If nothing else, she helped me to wake up.

(JAHANNA looks at the clock on her computer. She then grabs her jacket and goes out the door.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In trying to cheer APRIL up, LARRY grabs her hand and pulls on her.

APRIL - Larry what are you doing? Where are we going!

LARRY - Just follow me okay? Don't ask a lot of questions.

APRIL - But...

LARRY - Shhhhhhhh!

(APRIL laughs as she is being pulled by LARRY.)

APRIL - Well can I at least get a hint?

(LARRY stops and rubs his chin, still holding APRIL's wrist.)

LARRY - Okay, I'll give you a hint.

(LARRY reaches into his back pocket and pulls out his wallet. He lets go of APRIL's wrist just long enough to open his wallet and take out a small business card that is folded in half. He hands it to APRIL.)

APRIL - What in the world is this?
LARRY - Open it.

(APRIL smiles as she looks at LARRY like he is crazy. She opens it and spells out what is written on the inside.)

APRIL - A...H...I...N...T? What is ahint?

LARRY - You asked for a hint. I gave you one. Now come on.

(LARRY grabs APRIL's hand and begins to walk again.)

APRIL - Ha ha ha ha, you are so corny! What in the world are you...I mean...why did you have a paper with a hint on it?

LARRY - Because I knew you'd ask for it. Ha ha ha ha! Gotta stay prepared.

APRIL - Oh gosh! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

(They walk toward LARRY's dorm.)

LARRY - Okay, check this out. What do you call a man with no arms and no legs, at your front door?
APRIL - I don't know. What?
LARRY - Mat.

(APRIL laughs.)

APRIL - You are so corny it's funny! Ha ha ha ha ha!

(LARRY laughs.)

LARRY - What do you call a man with no arms and no legs under your car?
APRIL - What?
LARRY - Jack.

APRIL - Okay stop! You're killin' me!

(They both laugh as they get closer to the dorm.)

LARRY - Okay one more one more.

APRIL - On one condition.

LARRY - Okay what?
APRIL - It can't be corny!

LARRY - Okay. What do you call a girl with no arms standing against a wall?
APRIL - Damn if I know.

(LARRY smiles.)

LARRY - Eileen.

(silence)

APRIL - Okay that was the corniest one yet.

(APRIL says that smiling as they walk up the steps to the dorm.)

LARRY - Oh well, can't say I didn't try. Once we go upstairs though, you're gonna die laughing.

APRIL - You got something funny in your room?

(LARRY smiles.)

LARRY - Who said anything about my room?
APRIL - Huh?

(LARRY pushes the elevator button. He and APRIL are still holding hands.)

APRIL - We're not going to your room?

(They step into the elevator. LARRY pushes the button for the ninth floor.)

APRIL - Where in the world are you takin...

LARRY - I told you, no more questions.

(APRIL smiles.)

LARRY - Okay come on.

(They walk off the elevator and go to room nine fourteen. LARRY knocks on the door.)

LARRY - You ready to laugh sweetie?
APRIL - Sure. I can always use a smile and you are being real sweet Larry.

(LARRY smiles as the door opens.)

MAX - Uh..Larry? I didn't expect to see you...uh...

(LARRY pushes MAX aside bringing APRIL inside by the hand.)

LARRY - Max, this is Apey. Apey, this is Max.

APRIL - Uh...hello...

(LARRY pulls a chair for APRIL.)

LARRY - Max, start making us laugh.

---------------------------------------------------------

JAHANNA is walking toward campus.

JAHANNA thinks - I can't believe that girl said my loss in not going Zeta! Please! Ha ha ha ha!

(Her cell phone rings. She notices that it's PJ calling.)

JAHANNA - Hey PJ.

PJ - Where you at?
JAHANNA - Almost on campus now. I should be there in a few minutes.

PJ - You got everything I asked you to get?
JAHANNA - Yes. I have it all.

PJ - Okay hurry up J.

JAHANNA - I will.

(click)

JAHANNA thinks - I'd better hurry.

(JAHANNA quickens her step.)

JAHANNA thinks - I should be there in about five minutes if I hurry.

(JAHANNA grabs her shoulder bag tighter as she hurries. She looks up at the clock tower as she is passing the library.)

JAHANNA thinks - I wonder how many other people think I want to really go Zeta. Lord!

(JAHANNA sees KATRICE walking in the other direction coming toward her.)

JAHANNA thinks - Oh shit! Katrice!

(KATRICE notices JAHANNA and smiles at her.)

KATRICE - Miss Jahanna. What's up?
JAHANNA - Hello Katrice.

JAHANNA thinks - Don't say anything stupid! Don't say anything stupid!

(JAHANNA becomes very nervous.)

KATRICE - How you been?
JAHANNA - I am well I guess. How are you?

KATRICE - Hey, you know how it is. Doin' my thang.

JAHANNA - That's good.

(uncomfortable silence)

KATRICE - Jahanna listen. I notice that whenever I'm around you, you seem to tighten up and look real nervous.

JAHANNA - You noticed that huh?

(JAHANNA smiles from embarrassment.)

KATRICE - Listen, you don't have to feel nervous around me and my sorors anymore. There's no need for all that.

JAHANNA - There isn't?

KATRICE - Well no. The chapter decision is final Jahanna. You can go on and live your life and be a regular Ahpla student. We're your friends always but we won't be pledging you so don't worry about it.

(JAHANNA's heart drops.)

JAHANNA - But...

KATRICE - And from what we hear, you've moved on to bigger and...bluer...things anyway.

(KATRICE laughs.)

JAHANNA - Huh?
KATRICE - Did you go to the Z Phi B interest meeting?

JAHANNA thinks - Oh shit! Shit! Shit!

JAHANNA - Well yes but I wasn't...

KATRICE - That's what I heard. So you go and do your thing Jahanna.

JAHANNA - Wait a minute, I need to explain that. See, I wasn't there to...

KATRICE - It doesn't matter Jahanna.

JAHANNA - No it does. If I can just tell you...

KATRICE - I don't have time to hear it because I gotta run. I wish you well on that journey and I will be happy for you when you cross.

JAHANNA - But I don't want to be a Zeta!

(JAHANNA is raising her voice.)

KATRICE - And I don't want you to be an AKA.

(KATRICE smiles sarcastically.)

JAHANNA - Katrice, I only want to be a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha. That's all I want.

(JAHANNA is speaking very slow in order to maintain her composure. She even closes her eyes to block her view of KATRICE, just to remain calm.)

JAHANNA - All I wanna do is pledge AKA.

KATRICE - Actually, you're talking like all you want to do is kick my ass. Is that the case Jahanna? You wanna kick my ass?

JAHANNA thinks - Huh?
JAHANNA - No Katrice, it's just that...

KATRICE - It's just that you're passionate about wanting to be an AKA. Right?

(KATRICE smiles.)

JAHANNA - Yes! Exactly!

KATRICE - And I'm telling you that you won't be one. Not here at Ahpla at least. I'm going to make it a point that I stand in your way and that you never get in. You don't seem to have the qualities that we want in our members. Nothing personal, but that's just the way it is.

JAHANNA - But how can you say that? You're the only member of the organization that shows any animosity toward me and I don't understand why.

KATRICE - The fact that you're PJ's road dog has no bearing on my decision for my sorority. So I don't care what PJ is pumping your head up with. As long as I am here on campus, you won't be an AKA.

(KATRICE starts to walk away.)

JAHANNA - I thought you said this wasn't personal.

(KATRICE turns back around.)

KATRICE - Excuse me?
JAHANNA - You sure that this has nothing to do with you and your new found...friendship...with my brother?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DERRICK's cell phone rings.

(DERRICK looks at the caller id.)

DERRICK thinks - Oh God!

DERRICK - Hello?
CARYN - Where you at!

DERRICK - Caryn, I told you that I'm in a...

(DERRICK makes sure that CANDACE is gone.)

DERRICK - ...in a basketball meeting today and to not call me.

CARYN - But I miss you and the baby!

DERRICK - Yeah, I know. I'll call you in a little while alright?

CARYN - How long is your meeting?

DERRICK - It actually got cut short. So I'll check you out soon.

CARYN - Okay! Kiss our baby for me.

DERRICK - Yeah.

(DERRICK drops his head as he hangs up and holds CARYN's son.)

No comments: