Saturday, December 15, 2007

Episode 45

DERRICK and CANDACE are just leaving the American Airlines Arena in Dallas after DERRICK's game.

CANDACE - So you ready to go eat?

DERRICK - Am I? I'm always starvin' after I play. Come on.

(They start to walk out together.)

DERRICK thinks - Tell her now! Tell her now.

CANDACE - I didn't get to tell you how nice my room is. Well I guess you know that already! Hee hee hee!

DERRICK thinks - Tell her now!

CANDACE - And I loooked through the tourist book in my room. The restaurant looks great and the place we're going tomorrow, the planetarium looks great too!

DERRICK thinks - Tell her now! Tell her!

CANDACE - Derrick?

DERRICK - Yeah?

CANDACE - You're not still worrying about those three points are you?

(DERRICK laughs.)

DERRICK - No.

(silence)

DERRICK - Candace, hold on a minute.

(They stop walking and he turns to her.)

DERRICK - Candace, there's something I have to tell you.

CANDACE thinks - Uh oh! Please God don't make this too good to be true!

(She has a worried look on her face and DERRICK notices.)

DERRICK thinks - God!

DERRICK - Come here, sit down.

(He walks her over to a bench and they sit down, still holding hands.)

CANDACE - Is something wrong?

DERRICK - No no, well, not really, well, I don't know.

(CANDACE looks even more worried. She rubs DERRICK's hand.)

DERRICK - I just want to be up front with you Candace. I don't want any kind of surprises or nothing. And I don't want anything to ruin this weekend I planned.

CANDACE thinks - Oh God!

CANDACE - Derrick, what could ruin this wonderful weekend?

(silence)

(DERRICK pauses as he looks into CANDACE's eyes.)

DERRICK - Candace, here's the deal. Remember how I was telling you about...

FAN - Oh my God! It's Derrick Raines!

(Both DERRICK and CANDACE turn to see another couple.)

FAN - You're Derrick Raines!

DERRICK - Uh...yeah. I am.

FAN - Oh my God! Baby get my camera! Can I have your autograph dude?

(DERRICK looks at CANDACE. CANDACE smiles and lets go of his hand.)

FAN - Man, I'm a Dallas fan but you're the bomb man! Twenty five points! I saw you light them up!

DERRICK - Thanks.

(DERRICK stands up and stands next to the guy as the girl takes the picture.)

FAN - You guys are so tall in real life! Ha ha ha ha!

DERRICK - Yeah.

FAN - Here, just sign this man. Make it to Pete.

DERRICK - Okay Pete.

FAN - Oh my gosh! Derrick Raines!

(DERRICK signs it and hands it to PETE.)

DERRICK - Yall have a good evening.

FAN - Hey man you too! Thanks!

(They walk away smiling. DERRICK sits back down.)

DERRICK - Sorry about that.

CANDACE - It's quite alright. I guess I'd better get used to that huh?

(They both laugh.)

DERRICK - Yeah, I guess.

CANDACE - Well Derrick, please tell me what you want to tell me because you have me dying in suspense.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LARRY is driving XAVIER to Amgis College so he can get a cover story for the school paper, The Sands.

LARRY - So interview me.

XAVIER begins the interview.

XAVIER - So when the fight started, where were you and April and what is the nature of your relationship?

(silence)

LARRY - Excuse me?

XAVIER - I just need to get the full story. All components of it.

LARRY - Uh...I don't see what that has to do with the fight?

XAVIER - Trust me, you'll see how it ties in.

LARRY - Okay big baby. What was the question again?

XAVIER - Where were you two when the fight first started?

LARRY - Uh, let me see. Put down that I was sitting down and April got up to go to the bathroom.

(XAVIER begins to write.)

LARRY - Then all of a sudden I noticed a commotion. I turned to see what was going on and unfortunately I recognized the guys in the scuffle as my fraternity brothers.

XAVIER - Okay.

LARRY - So I immediately jumped up out of my seat.

XAVIER - Uh huh...to go help?

LARRY - No, to find April. It looked like it would get ugly so I wanted to make sure she was okay.

(XAVIER writes.)

LARRY - How is that so far?

XAVIER - Oh this is great. Real good.

LARRY - Cool.

XAVIER - Now...

(XAVIER is still writing.)

XAVIER - So...what exactly is your relationship with April?

(XAVIER looks up from his pad. LARRY smiles.)

LARRY - Do you want the school paper story version or the truth?

XAVIER - Let me hear the truth, and I'll write it in as need be.

LARRY - I guess that's a good idea. You are the writer editor type cat, aint ya?

(LARRY laughs.)

XAVIER - Yeah.

(silence)

XAVIER - So...

LARRY - Oh, oh yeah. Me and April.

XAVIER - Yeah, you and April. What's the deal?

(LARRY pulls up to a red light then turns to face XAVIER.)

LARRY - Me and April are fuckin'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DERRICK and CANDACE are talking after the game in Dallas.

CANDACE - Well Derrick, please tell me what you want to tell me because you have me dying in suspense.

DERRICK - Okay. Remember I was telling you the story about me and Caryn, and her son?

CANDACE thinks - Dammit! I knew it!

CANDACE - Yeah I remember?

(CANDACE grabs his hand again.)

DERRICK - Well I may have more drama over that situation. It never seems to end.

CANDACE - What is it? Do you want to be with her and be a family or something?

DERRICK - Oh hell no! No! Its nothing like that at all.

CANDACE - Oh.

DERRICK - No, nothing like that.

(DERRICK pauses.)

DERRICK - Caryn called me the other day and told me that Bobby got in contact with her.

CANDACE- Uh huh.

DERRICK - And Bobby is requesting a DNA test to determine whether or not he is really the father.

CANDACE - A DNA test? Wasn't that done already?

DERRICK - No. I thought it was too, but apparently not.

CANDACE - Okay.

DERRICK - So if the baby turns out not to be Bobby's...

CANDACE - Oh!

DERRICK - After all this time, he really could be my son.

(silence)

CANDACE thinks - Oh my God.

(DERRICK lets go of her hand and places both his hands on his head.)

(silence)

CANDACE - What are you gonna do?

DERRICK - I have to be tested. If Lil Derrick is mine, in a sense, I'll be happy. I love him Candace and I miss him so much. Its Caryn I can do without. And the thought of being associated with her for all of Lil Derrick's life...

CANDACE - Wow.

DERRICK - But I know that if I was his father, he'd have a better life than if it was Bobby. Ya know? I'd give him anything he needed and really provide for him. I don't think Bobby has the heart to do that.

(He pauses.)

DERRICK - So I'm torn. I really am. And I don't want this to affect what I'm trying to do...

(He picks his head up and turns toward her.)

DERRICK - ...with you.

(silence)

CANDACE - Derrick...

(She chooses her words carefully.)

CANDACE - ...Derrick I like you a lot. I wouldn't be here if I didn't. If I didn't think this whole crazy thing had a possibility of working, I wouldn'tve flew in to see you.

(She takes his hand again.)

CANDACE - As far as Lil Derrick, if you love him, and I know you do, take care of him anyway. If he's Bobby's son or if he's your son. That is your son regardless. Take care of that little man.

(DERRICK smiles.)

DERRICK - I will.

CANDACE - Now, is that all the drama you have to tell me?

DERRICK - Yeah, that's it.

CANDACE - Thanks for telling me Derrick. That shows me that you care about my feelings and want me involved.

DERRICK - And I do. I really do. I just didn't know how you would react.

CANDACE - I appreciate your honesty.

(silence)

CANDACE - So what happens now?

DERRICK - Well, I have to go back to Ahpla and take the DNA test. Then I'll know and I can make a decision as to what I'm gonna do.

(CANDACE laughs.)

DERRICK - What's so funny?

CANDACE - I mean, what happens now as far as dinner! I'm hungry!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The AKAs , SYLVIA, PJ, and KATRICE are in SYLVIA's room. They're talking about JUNE's upcoming wedding.

KATRICE - I still think teal is better.

PJ - Nope, this silver is the cutest.

SYLVIA - Well yall keep arguin' about it. I'll be right back.

(SYLVIA steps into the bathroom and closes the door.)

PJ - This is so nice that June is getting married and she asked us for help.

KATRICE - Oh yeah. Now that she's got rid of that loser Derrick. I like Buck, he's cool.

(PJ laughs.)

PJ - Yeah, I hear ya.

KATRICE - What's up with you Peej? You been single for a long time.

PJ - So?

(PJ tries to hide a smile but it comes out anyway.)

KATRICE - What are you smiling about?

PJ - Who? Me?

KATRICE - Presjina!

PJ - What?

(PJ tries to look innocent.)

KATRICE - You got a boyfriend?

PJ - No!

KATRICE - Sylvia, PJ has been holding out! She got a man!

(The bathroom door opens and SYLVIA is washing her hands.)

SYLVIA - Huh?

KATRICE - PJ got a boyfriend!

PJ - No I don't! Don't even listen to her!

(They all laugh.)

SYLVIA - PJ, you aint never giddy girl! Who is he! Out with it!

PJ - Out with what? Let's just finish lookin' at these gowns. Oooh, look at this one!

(KATRICE closes the book.)

KATRICE - Talk!

(PJ smiles.)

PJ - Okay okay! I did go on a date!

SYLVIA - You did?

KATRICE - You damn heffa! Why didn't you tell us?

PJ - Because I know how yall are! Yall would've showed up to check him out!

SYLVIA - Good point! Ha ha ha ha, I know I would've.

PJ - See! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

KATRICE - So who is it?

(PJ pauses and smiles.)

PJ - I went out with Ty.

SYLVIA - Ty? Who is Ty?

KATRICE - You mean Dexter's boy?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XAVIER - So...what exactly is your relationship with April?

(XAVIER looks up from his pad. LARRY smiles.)

LARRY - Do you want the school paper story version or the truth?

XAVIER - Let me hear the truth, and I'll write it in as need be.

LARRY - I guess that's a good idea. You are the writer editor type cat, aint ya?

(LARRY laughs.)

XAVIER - Yeah.

(silence)

XAVIER - So...

LARRY - Oh, oh yeah. Me and April.

XAVIER - Yeah, you and April. What's the deal?

(LARRY pulls up to a red light then turns to face XAVIER.)

LARRY - Me and April are fuckin'.

(XAVIER drops the pen.)

XAVIER - What!

LARRY - Just don't put that in the paper aight baby?

(silence)

XAVIER - Are you serious?

LARRY - You said you wanted the truth.

(silence)

(XAVIER slowly picks up his pen.)

XAVIER - Um...

(XAVIER pauses.)

XAVIER - ...how long have you guys been a couple?

LARRY - A couple? Who said we were a couple?

XAVIER - Well didn't you say yall were having sex?

LARRY - Yeah but we're takin' things slow as far as a relationship. Don't wanna rush into anything. Feel me?

XAVIER - I guess.

LARRY - It's like this. She says she's not sure if she's ready for a relationship or anything. And I feel the same way. Just not sure right now. So its best to take things slow.

XAVIER - Uh huh.

(silence)

LARRY - Why aren't you writing anything?

XAVIER - Oh, uh...my bad.

(XAVIER starts to write something.)

LARRY - Also, I think she has feelings for somebody else.

(XAVIER looks up.)

XAVIER - Somebody else?

LARRY - Yeah. I mean its cool, I'm not jealous or anything, but I just get the feeling she likes somebody. I just don't know who.

XAVIER - Really?

LARRY - I could be wrong, but I'm usually not with these kinds of things.

(XAVIER writes something as they pull up toward Amgis' campus.)

LARRY - Aw man, we're here. I didn't get a chance to finish my interview.

XAVIER- Oh don't worry, I got all I need.

LARRY -Oh, well if you need more, I can probably tell you more when we go back to Ahpla.

XAVIER - Oh don't worry about me. I'm gonna get one of my frat brothers to drive me.

LARRY - Oh okay.

(LARRY pulls over.)

XAVIER - Thanks Larry. You were more helpful than you know.

(LARRY smiles.)

XAVIER - Later.

LARRY - Peace my man.

(XAVIER gets out. LARRY waits a second and bursts out laughing. He pulls out his cell phone.)

APRIL - Hello?

LARRY - Hey it's me.

APRIL - Hey, what's up?

LARRY - Girl, wait til I tell you this! You were so right!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PJ - Yeah, Ty the Que.

SYLVIA - Really? That new guy?

PJ - Yeah.

KATRICE - What did yall do?

PJ - Well we talk on the phone a lot. But we went to the diner. That's all. No big deal.

KATRICE - No big deal?

SYLVIA - No this is a huge deal. PJ don't nobody be hatin' on men the way you do.

PJ - That's not true. I don't hate men. I just won't put up with bullshit anymore.

KATRICE - I hear that!

SYLVIA - So how was the date?

PJ - It was real cool. We had a nice time.

SYLVIA - Really?

PJ - Yeah. He's cool.

SYLVIA - Cute?

PJ - Cute.

KATRICE - Packin'?

PJ - I don't know!

KATRICE - Well you know that's important.

(They all laugh.)

SYLVIA - So do you think you'll go out with him again?

PJ - Yeah, we already talked about it. So we'll see.

KATRICE - Yeah, we'll see!

(They laugh at KATRICE's sarcasm.)

PJ - Alright alright, now can we please get back to looking at these gowns?

KATRICE - Yeah okay.

SYLVIA - You two have been looking at wedding gowns for an hour and both keep saying the same thing. Neither will budge.

PJ - You're right.

KATRICE - Well let's call June and tell her that we can't agree on the color. Maybe she'll decide for us.

PJ - Okay, good idea.

(KATRICE dials JUNE's cell phone.)

JUNE - Hello!

KATRICE - June, it's Katrice, what's wrong?

(KATRICE can tell by JUNE's voice that something is wrong.)

JUNE - Katrice! There was a big fight over here at Amgis and Buck got hurt!

KATRICE - What! Is he okay?

JUNE - He hurt his ankle somehow! I don't know what happened!

KATRICE - Well who was he fighting?

JUNE - It wasn't him, the Alphas and the Kappas were fighting and he got caught up in the crowd.

KATRICE - What!

JUNE - That broke up already, but some other fights started! But you wanna hear something real crazy?

KATRICE - What?

JUNE - Mona was here and she got into a scuffle with sorors!

KATRICE - What! Who!

JUNE - Renee! She was pissed off at Mona for something and Mona probably flipped off at her and Renee kicked her ass!

(KATRICE jumps out of her seat.)

KATRICE - What! Are you serious!

JUNE - I am very serious! The other sorors had to pull Renee off of her!

KATRICE - June you are lying! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

(PJ and SYLVIA look at one another and wonder what KATRICE is talking about.)

JUNE - No! I'm seriou...oh wait, I gotta go!

KATRICE - Oh okay well call me back and...hello? June?

(KATRICE hangs up.)

PJ - What was that all about?

SYLVIA - Yeah, what happened?

(KATRICE is smiling a big smile.)

KATRICE - You are not gonna believe this! June said a huge fight broke out at Amgis between the Alphas and the Kappas!

SYLVIA - What!

PJ - Oh shit!

KATRICE - But that isn't, ha ha ha ha ha, the crazy, ha ha ha ha ha, part!

PJ - What happened?

(KATRICE starts laughing and can barely finish telling the story.)

PJ - Girl what happened!

KATRICE - Mona was out there and Renee caught up with her and whipped her ass!

SYLVIA - No!

KATRICE - Yes girl! Renee was pissed at Mona for something. And you know how Mona is! She probably egged her on! Aint that some funny shit! Oh my God!

(KATRICE laughs again.)

PJ - Wait a minute!

(KATRICE slowly stops laughing.)

KATRICE - What?

PJ - How the hell are you laughing about Renee kickin' Mona's ass when you got pissed off at Jahanna for doin' the same damn thing?

No comments: