Saturday, December 15, 2007

Episode 41

The inter office telephone rings.

VALERIE - Yes.

TERRY - Your one o'clock is here. Mr. Jefferson and your husband is on line two.

VALERIE - Thanks, send him in please.

(MRS. EDWARDS answers the phone as her door opens and ALEX walks in. She points to an empty chair and he sits down.)

VALERIE - Hey, let me call you back. Professor Jefferson is here. Okay bye.

(She hangs up.)

VALERIE - Hello Professor Jefferson, it's good to see you again. Glad you could make it.

(He stands up and shakes her hand.)

ALEX - Please, call me Alex.

VALERIE - Okay Alex, have a seat and make yourself comfortable.

ALEX - Thank you. How's your husband?

VALERIE - Still coachin'. You know how he is! But he loves those kids, I tell ya.

ALEX - Yeah, I know. I love my students too.

VALERIE - Okay, so let's get down to business shall we?

ALEX - Sure. What do you need for me to do. I'm at your disposal. Do I have to testify or anything?

VALERIE - Uh...not yet. First we need to discuss what happened. I need to be as familiar as possible with this case and all that surrounds it.

ALEX - Okay.

VALERIE - So why don't you start from the beginning and tell me what led up to the assualt by this student. How much do you know about this person?

(VALERIE pulls out a pad.)

ALEX - I really don't know her well at all. I mean she's one of my students.

VALERIE - Uh huh.

ALEX - Uh, and I know she wants to be a college professor like me. She said that often. She was in awe of me.

VALERIE - Uh huh.

(VALERIE is writing.)

VALERIE - Anything else?

ALEX - Uh...Oh, I know she's a Delta.

VALERIE - Oh, she's in a sorority?

ALEX - Yeah.

VALERIE - Okay. So tell me what led up to the assault.

ALEX - Well...

(ALEX grabs his chin and rubs it as if he's trying to remember.)

ALEX - I believe it all started at the beginning of that semester. She was in my class and was having a hard time with the material.

VALERIE - She didn't understand it?

ALEX - No, it wasn't that. It was moreso that it was so much work at once. We throw it to the kids in volumes. You know, that's how we weed em out.

VALERIE - Okay.

(VALERIE is still writing.)

ALEX - So she really had a hard time keeping up. So she came to me for help.

VALERIE - And did you help her?

ALEX - Well it was hard to...

(ALEX pauses.)

ALEX - ...she came on to me so much, it made it difficult to help her.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DERRICK is about to go on the court for a game. He grabs his cell phone and dials quickly.

CANDACE - Hello?

DERRICK - Hi.

CANDACE - You're about to go out?

DERRICK - Yeah, wish me luck.

CANDACE - Good luck D.

DERRICK - Wow, your voice sounds so nice.

(CANDACE laughs.)

CANDACE - Well I hope you do well.

DERRICK - I will.

DERRICK thinks - If I get in!

CANDACE - Are yall on tv tonight?

DERRICK - Maybe on the superstation or something. I don't know.

CANDACE - Okay well I'm out with my girls right now but I'll try and see if its on and I'll look for ya.

DERRICK thinks - Oh gosh! Make sure you check the bench! I probably won't get in.

DERRICK - Okay cool. I'll make sure I dunk one for ya.

(CANDACE laughs.)

CANDACE - Tell ya what, you do that and I'll have a special surprise for ya.

DERRICK - You aint said nothin' but a word. Consider it done.

CANDACE - Okay, bye.

DERRICK - Later.

(They hang up. DERRICK stares at his phone, then puts it in his bag and closes the locker. He joins his teammates in the other room as they get ready to take the floor.)

DERRICK thinks - Why the hell did I promise her a dunk! Ha ha ha ha! I may not even get in tonight, especially the way I got on coach's nerves!

(After the team prayer, DERRICK jogs onto the floor with his teammates. They shoot around and go through the preliminary warm ups.)

DERRICK - I'm feeling good tonight Coach. I'm feeling real good.

COACH WRIGHT - So do I Derrick.

DERRICK - I think you need to play me a little tonight. I feel that fire like back in the day.

COACH WRIGHT - Is that so?

DERRICK - Oh yeah Coach. I definitely feel it.

COACH WRIGHT - We'll see.

(The coach walks away.)

DERRICK thinks - His ass aint puttin' me in. Damn!

(DERRICK looks around for another assistant coach and he hears the whistles blow to start the game.)

DERRICK thinks - Damn!

(DERRICK joins the huddle as the head coach says the final instructions and sends out the starting five players. DERRICK sits on the bench.)

DERRICK - I think I may go in tonight man.

BYRON - Nigga please, you aint goin' in.

DERRICK - I feel it tonight, I'm serious.

BYRON - Yeah, whateva fella. Keep dreamin.

(The game begins.)

DERRICK thinks - Damn, maybe Byron is right. Maybe I won't go in. Damn.

(A time out is called because one of DERRICK starting teammates is injured.)

DERRICK - Oh shit, what happened?

BYRON - I don't know but Matt is limping.

DERRICK - Damn, he probably twisted his ankle or some shit.

BYRON - Yeah.

(Two teammates help MATT off the floor.)

COACH WRIGHT - Byron!

(Both DERRICK and BYRON turn around.)

BYRON - Yeah Coach.

COACH WRIGHT - Let's go, you're in.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALEX JEFFERSON is speaking with his new lawyer VALERIE EDWARDS about BREANNA.

VALERIE - So she came on to you?

ALEX - Oh, all the time. That's what this is all about.

(VALERIE writes something down.)

VALERIE - Now what do you mean when you say that's what this is about?

ALEX - Well...

(ALEX sits back.)

ALEX - ...you gotta first understand the mentality of some of these female students.

(VALERIE stops writing and puts her pen down. She looks directly at ALEX.)

VALERIE - Tell me about em.

(ALEX smiles.)

ALEX - Ya see, students see teachers as people of authority. People with power. We as faculty have to be very careful how we speak to students, how we treat students, and everything. We even get training for that kind of thing.

VALERIE - Oh I know. My husband has been to those trainings.

ALEX - Oh yeah, coach knows. Ha ha ha ha.

VALERIE - Okay so continue. Let's get back to your case against Breanna.

ALEX - Oh yeah, right. So anyway, what started out as regular tutoring sessions, turned into visits by her that lasted longer and longer each time.

VALERIE - Uh huh.

ALEX - And then one night...

(ALEX pauses.)

ALEX - ...damn...

VALERIE - It's okay, take your time Alex.

(silence)

ALEX - We were in my classroom and she came in. It was late and I was correcting exams. And now that I think about it, I think I was on the phone with my wife.

VALERIE - Oh you're married? I didn't see a ring on you.

ALEX - Oh, Stacie and I are separated now.

VALERIE - Oh, I'm sorry.

ALEX - Oh it's okay, we're working on getting everything back together and fixing the problems between us.

VALERIE - Oh okay.

ALEX - Yeah, just normal marriage stuff. You know, nothing we can't work through. You know how it is. Arguements and stuff.

VALERIE - Oh yeah, I know.

ALEX - How long you guys been married?

VALERIE - Nine years.

ALEX - Wow, nine years. So you guys are veterans at this thing huh? You got it down pat.

VALERIE - I wouldn't say all that Alex.

(VALERIE keeps writing and doesn't see ALEX stand up and pick up a picture off her desk.)

ALEX - Well you must have seen it all in nine years. Ups and downs.

(ALEX looks at the picture of VALERIE and COACH EDWARDS.)

VALERIE - I guess.

(VALERIE is still writing.)

ALEX - Well, since you know how the game works...

(VALERIE looks up when ALEX places her picture down on her desk...face down.)

ALEX - ...you wanna play a little?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PJ and TY just finished eating on their date. They are leaving the Twenty Four Seven diner.

(TY opens the door for PJ to walk out.)

PJ - I don't even know how to act, such a gentleman.

TY - Only in the presence of a lady, a fine lady of AKA. Ha ha ha ha.

MONA - Good, then keep holdin' that door open! Ha ha ha ha.

(MONA walks into the diner with MIKE right behind her.)

MONA - PJ.

PJ - Mona.

(MONA smiles as she turns toward MIKE.)

MONA - Mike, this is my line sister PJ. PJ this is Mike.

(MONA flashes a smile at PJ.)

MIKE - Hey PJ, nice to meet you.

(PJ extends her hand to MIKE.)

PJ - Nice to meet you Mike...she isn't my line sister.

(PJ turns to walk out the door.)

MIKE - Huh?

(TY follows PJ out, the door closes.)

MIKE - What was that all about?

MONA - Remember I was tellin' you on the way over that I have a line sister that didn't really pledge? And she's basically a hater?

MIKE - Oh yeah, you did say that.

MONA - Well that was her.

MIKE - Oh, okay. Ha ha ha ha! Haters kill me.

MONA - Me too! Just do what you gotta do and be done with it. Ya know?

MIKE - I agree one hundred percent. Take it like a man...or in your case, a woman.

(They both laugh as they sit down.)

MIKE - So you and I have a lot in common Mona.

MONA - We do?

MIKE - Well in terms of our organizations.

MONA - What do you mean?

MIKE - Well we're both pretty.

(MIKE smiles and MONA laughs.)

MIKE - We both feel very passionately about our organizations.

MONA - Yeah, we do.

MIKE - And we both like to haze people.

(MONA laughs.)

MONA - See, now you're puttin' words in my mouth!

MIKE - Okay, let me rephrase that. We both realize that people need to work hard and earn their letters...the old fashioned way.

MONA - That sounds better.

MIKE - Yeah, like I said, we like to haze people.

MONA - Whatever!

(They both laugh as the waitress comes over and takes their order.)

MIKE - So Miss Mona...

MONA - Yes sir.

MIKE - ...tell me.

MONA - Anything you wanna know.

(MIKE smiles.)

MIKE - Tell me some of the projects your chapter has coming up that you're working on. Maybe we can work on a few things together.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Two teammates help MATT off the floor.)

COACH WRIGHT - Byron!

(Both DERRICK and BYRON turn around.)

BYRON - Yeah Coach.

COACH WRIGHT - Let's go, you're in.

(BYRON smiles as he pulls off his sweat pants.)

COACH WRIGHT - Aight, let's go!

(DERRICK sits back down.)

DERRICK - You aight man?

MATT - I'll live. I just came down on it wrong.

DERRICK - Yeah.

(DERRICK turns to watch the game. He sees BYRON take a shot and miss but get fouled on the play.)

DERRICK - Come on Byron! Make it happen man!

(BYRON goes to the free throw line and misses both shots.)

DERRICK - Damn man!

(The game continues and BYRON fouls someone on the other team.)

COACH WRIGHT - Come on ref! Was that a foul?

REFEREE - He slapped the hand Coach.

COACH WRIGHT - Come on Byron man!

(The other team calls a time out and the team comes over to the bench.)

COACH WRIGHT - Byron, you look a little cold man. I'm gonna put Derrick in.

BYRON - Okay Coach.

(BYRON walks over and slaps DERRICK on the leg.)

BYRON - You're up playboy.

DERRICK - Oh yeah?

COACH WRIGHT - Derrick, let's go!

(DERRICK jumps up and runs to join the huddle. He gets instructions and goes in.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MIKE - So Miss Mona...

MONA - Yes sir.

MIKE - ...tell me.

MONA - Anything you wanna know.

(MIKE smiles.)

MIKE - Tell me some of the projects your chapter has coming up that you're working on. Maybe we can work on a few things together.

(silence)

MONA - Uhhhhhh.

(MIKE smiles as he awaits MONA's response.)

MONA - Um...

(silence)

MONA - Wow, we're like doing so much, sometimes its hard for me to remember it all.

MIKE - Yeah, I hear ya. Well tell me one thing. It would be real cool if we could do some kind of K A Psi AKA function. Ya know?

MONA - Yeah, that would be great.

MIKE - So what you think? What's one of your projects?

MONA - Uhhh...well tell me one of yours. Maybe we can hook up to that one.

MIKE - Well...

MIKE thinks - Damn, we can't do anything on campus right now with Dell up our asses!

MIKE - Uh...

(silence)

MONA - Yall got so many projects too huh?

(They both laugh.)

MIKE - Oh well, it's an idea. Maybe we can table that idea for later.

MONA - Yeah.

(The food comes and MONA gets ready to dig in.)

MIKE - Wow, that was quick.

MONA - Yeah!

(MONA is chewing a french fry as she looks up and sees that MIKE has placed his hands together to pray.)

MONA - Oooops...my bad.

(MIKE smiles.)

MIKE - Hangin' around Xavier so much rubs off.

(MONA smiles and closes her eyes.)

MIKE - Lord, thank you for this food. Bless us in school and in life, and thank you for your many blessings. Amen.

MONA - Amen.

(They begin to eat and chit chat and they finish their food quickly.)

MONA - That was good.

MIKE - Yeah, always is here.

MONA - So what's on your agenda now? What am I keepin you from?

MIKE - Nothing. I don't have any plans.

MONA - Are you sure?

MIKE - Yep.

MONA - Good. Let's stay here and talk.

MIKE - But don't we have to leave? Won't they need this booth for more customers?

MONA - Screw them. Let's stay here until they make us leave.

(MIKE laughs.)

MIKE - I like your style Mona.

(MONA smiles.)

MONA - I must admit, I am a work of art.

(MIKE and MONA stay for another hour before the waitress actually realizes they've been holding up the booth that long.)

WAITRESS - Uh...is there anything else I can get for you guys?

MONA - Oh no, we're fine.

WAITRESS - Oh okay, well...um...We're gonna kinda need this booth. The diner is starting to fill up.

MONA - No problem.

(MONA smiles at MIKE as they get up to leave.)

MONA - Time to go I guess.

MIKE - Yeah, but great conversation huh?

MONA - Awesome.

(They grab hands and walk toward the door.)

MIKE - Oh wait, I forgot to leave that girl a tip. I'll be right back.

MONA - Okay.

(MIKE goes back and MONA waits.)

MONA thinks - This may be the start of something real nice!

(MONA looks back at MIKE who is now returning, then she turns toward the door. She sees TY entering the diner holding hands with ROBIN.)

MIKE - Okay you ready to...hey...isn't that Ty? Wasn't he just in here with your line sister PJ?

(MONA smiles.)

MONA - He sure was.

(MONA starts to leave.)

MIKE - Damn, that's shady! Are you gonna call your line sister to tell her?

(MONA walks through the door and into the parking lot.)

MONA - Tell PJ the hater?

(MONA laughs.)

MONA - Hell no!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Trailblazers win 101-87. Everyone is congratulating each other on a good win, especially DERRICK.

BYRON - Hey man, good game.

DERRICK - Thanks dog.

(DERRICK looks at COACH WRIGHT. The coach gives DERRICK a thumb up sign and turns toward the locker room.)

BYRON - Yo man, I think they wanna talk to you.

DERRICK - Who?

(DERRICK turns around and sees STEWART SCOTT from ESPN with a microphone.)

STEWART - Derrick, if I could have a minute with you.

(DERRICK walks over as STEWART checks his ear piece.)

STEWART - Are we on? Okay go.

(STEWART turns toward DERRICK.)

STEWART - Derrick, rookie sensation from the Blazers, blazin' up the net tonight. Twenty eight points, and nine boards. Quite an impressive performance.

DERRICK - Thanks, well my hat goes off to all my teammates. They got me some great blocks and I had real good looks at the basket tonight.

STEWART - You seem to be somewhat in a zone tonight. Like you knew the ball would drop, and it did mostly.

DERRICK - I did have a hot hand, I was feelin' it early and Coach Wright called me in early. I think he knew it too. But I had good reasons to showcase tonight.

STEWART - Well you were off the higgity for shiddigity, so what was your motivation?

DERRICK - I had a heart to heart with moms. You know how that is. And...a special person asked for a dunk, so I wanted to give it to her.

STEWART - And you certainly did! Two three point shots, twenty eight overall points, hard on the boards, great job.

DERRICK - Thanks! Hi mom!

(STEWART turns to the camera.)

STEWART - Great job indeed! We all need motivation from mom every now and then! This is Stewart Scott for ESPN.

No comments: