Saturday, December 15, 2007

Episode 39

BRENDON and BREANNA have reserved a study room in the library. They are studying for their Sociology final exam.

BREANNA - This is a lot of information!

BRANDON - Yeah, it is.

BREANNA - That actually works better for me though. I retain information easily.

BRANDON - Well can you take the exam for me then?

(They both laugh.)

BREANNA - Please Brandon. You're doing much better then me in this class. You've gotten all A's on the exams so far right?
BRANDON - Yeah.

BREANNA - See what I mean! I hate students like you. Messin' up the grade curve for everybody else! Ha ha ha ha.

(BRANDON laughs.)

BRANDON - The only reason I got A's is this stuff seems like a lot of common sense stuff. Like the questions he asks on the exams, how can you get them wrong?
BREANNA - I feel ya, but people do get em wrong. People fail this class every semester.

BRANDON - I don't see how.

(They continue to read in silence for a few moments.)

BRANDON - Hey, I forgot to congratulate you on crossing DST. How does it feel to be on this side of the Greek fence?
BREANNA - It feels wonderful! And thanks! Thanks a lot Brandon.

(BREANNA smiles at him. He smiles back and they go back to their reading.)

BREANNA - Hey, did you do the questions at the end of chapter seven?
BRANDON - Uh...let me see. I think so.

BREANNA - I gotta get back into study mode man. When I was on line, I was on it. I could remember everything. Now that I crossed, I went on a brain vacation.

BRANDON - Oh, I know what you mean! You wouldn't believe what my brain went through when I was pledgin' girl. You wouldn't believe.

BREANNA - Yeah, I heard the guys get kinda rough.

BRANDON - Hell yeah. Plus we had a car accident.

BREANNA - Yall did?
BRANDON - Yeah, a bad one. And I hit my head and got temporary amnesia. I couldn't remember anything for nine days. I didn't even recognize my brother. So there was a question as to whether I should even cross. I couldn't remember what I had learned.

BREANNA - Wow! What helped you bring your memory back?
BRANDON - My girlfriend Denice. She was really there for me. She helped me remember events from my past and that helped jar my memory.

BREANNA - Oh that's great.

(BREANNA puts her pen down.)

BREANNA - What types of things did she help you to remember?

(silence)

BRANDON - Well, to be totally honest withyou, and I feel like I can tell you this Breanna because we've been cool for a while, she didn't tell me the whole truth about my past.

BREANNA - Huh? What do you mean?
BRANDON - She wanted to help me, so she told me some things about my past that involved her. Like us dating and stuff, but I found out later that those things never happened.

BREANNA - Why would she tell you things that never happened?
BRANDON - Well, Denice has always liked me. We grew up together. Went to high school together and everything. So I guess in her trying to help me, she threw a little of her own agenda in the mix.

BREANNA - Wow, that's deep.

BRANDON - Yeah.

(silence)

(BREANNA starts to copy the questions from chapter seven.)

(silence)

BREANNA - So you didn't have a problem with her doing that?

BRANDON - Oh no doubt, its foul. Real foul. But I just let it go after a while.

BREANNA - Wow.

BRANDON - Yeah.

BREANNA - You're a bigger person than me.

(BREANNA says laughing.)

BREANNA - I don't take too well to untruths. I've dealt with people like that for a while now and it always gets on my nerves.

BRANDON - I understand that.

(silence)

BRANDON - I mean...

(BRANDON pauses, BREANNA looks up from her notes.)

BRANDON - ...I'm happy...I guess. I'm glad everything worked out the way it did.

BREANNA - That's good.

BRANDON - It's just that...

(BRANDON pauses.)

BRANDON - It's just that I don't know sometimes. We just don't seem to genuinely get along.

(silence)

(BREANNA puts her pen down.)

BREANNA - Tell me about it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APRIL is putting on the final touches of her make up when her phone rings.

(APRIL answers the phone.)

APRIL - Hello.

OCTAVIA - Hey.

APRIL - Hey girl, wassup.

OCTAVIA - What you up to?

APRIL - Gettin' ready to go out.

OCTAVIA - You are? Where you headed?
APRIL - Going to the movies...

(She pauses.)

APRIL - ...with Larry.

OCTAVIA - Really? Larry?

APRIl - Yep.

(APRIL smiles as she checks herself in the mirror.)

OCTAVIA - So what's up with that?
APRIL - Stop bein so nosey.

OCTAVIA - Girl please. You know I'm the last person up in some mix.

APRIL - Yeah, that's true. Ha ha ha. Well we'll see. He's a real nice guy.

OCTAVIA - Cool. Well don't corrupt him then.

(APRIL laughs.)

APRIL - I'll try not to. I'll let you know how it goes. Let me get out of here before I'm late.

OCTAVIA - Okay.

APRIL - We're meeting out front and taking the metro to the mall where the movies are.

OCTAVIA - Well have a good time.

APRIL - Thanks. Later.

OCTAVIA - Bye.

(APRIL hangs up and checks her watch.)

APRIL thinks - Ooooh, let me get downstairs.

(She takes one last look in the mirror and tosses her hair. She smiles and walks out the door.)

APRIL thinks - Larry is a real nice guy. He makes me happy and that's important.

(She waits for the elevator.)

APRIL thinks - And that's more than I can say than some people.

(The elevator comes and she steps on it.)

APRIL thinks - Sure, Larry aint the finest dude on campus, but there's a lot more to a person than looks. I know a lot of good looking brothers that aint about shit.

(The elevator reaches the lobby and APRIL steps off.)

APRIL thinks - I'll just keep doin' what I been doin'. Having a good time. Laughing at his corny ass jokes, and having a good time.

(She smiles to herself.)

APRIL thinks - Its almost funny how much I'm looking forward to seeing him. Hee hee hee.

(She turns the corner and looks around the lobby for LARRY.)

APRIL thinks - Oh, there he is!

(APRIL smiles as she walks up behind LARRY who is talking to someone else. She taps him on the shoulder.)

APRIL - Hey.

(LARRY turns around and smiles.)

LARRY - Hey there care bear!

(They hug.)

APRIL - I'm ready. You ready to go?
LARRY - Yes indeedy speedy. One second.

(LARRY turns back to who he was talking to.)

LARRY - You ready to go?

MAX - Yep. I'm ready. What movie are we going to go see again?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BRENDON and BREANNA are supposed to be studying for their final exam, but have started to talk instead.

BRANDON - ...I'm happy with Denice...I guess. I'm glad everything worked out the way it did.

BREANNA - That's good.

BRANDON - It's just that...

(BRANDON pauses.)

BRANDON - It's just that I don't know sometimes. We just don't seem to genuinely get along.

(silence)

(BREANNA puts her pen down.)

BREANNA - Tell me about it.

(BRANDON hesitates.)

BRENDON - It just seems like we argue a lot. Like if she says left, I'll automatically wanna say right. If I say I wanna eat at McDonald's, she'll say she wants to eat at Burger King.

BREANNA - Uh huh.

BRANDON - I can't remember the last time we just sat around and had a conversation that didn't turn into a debate. We don't always argue, but we never just agree. We don't agree on anything.

BREANNA - That's deep.

BRANDON - Think so?
BREANNA - Sure. See, people don't realize that the patterns they create in their relationships last. So whatever you do when you're just talking to someone or dating, you do the same stuff when you're boyfriend girlfriend. Then the same things you do when you're boyfriend girlfriend, you do as husband and wife.

BRANDON - Really?
BREANNA - It only makes sense.

BRANDON - I guess you're right.

BREANNA - Yeah. That's why I couldn't be with someone that I argued with all the time. That would drive me nuts. I need sanity to get through life.

(BREANNA laughs and starts to read again.)

(silence)

BRANDON - Well don't get me wrong. I don't want to paint a picture that I don't like my girlfriend. I love Denice.

BREANNA - That's good.

BRANDON - I just don't get along with her half the time.

BREANNA - But listen to what you just said Brandon. You don't get along with your...friend.

(silence)

BREANNA - I don't see how she couldn't get along with you anyway. You're like the most drama free guy I know.

BRANDON - Yeah I'm like you. I need my sanity. It's hard enough maintaining that with Brendon!

BREANNA - Oh yeah. Ha ha ha ha.

(BRANDON laughs.)

(silence)

BREANNA - Well I hope everything works out Brandon. You're a great guy and its a shame if Denice doesn't realize that.

BRANDON - Thanks.

(BREANNA starts to read again. BRANDON stares at her for a moment. He then drops his head to read right before BREANNA looks up and glances at him.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delta Airlines flight 706 has just landed in Amsterdam.

FLIGHT ATTENDANT - Good day passengers. We have now arrived to our first destination, Amsterdam on our way back to New York city, the United States. The aircraft has to refuel and be run through a maintenance and repair check before we depart for London and New York city. Feel free to leave the aircraft, as you will have four hours before we depart.

GINA thinks - Four hours?

FLIGHT ATTENDANT - You have time to get yourselves something to eat or visit the market place here in Amsterdam. Please, if you are leaving the aircraft, take your boarding pass with you as you will need it to reboard the aircraft. Do remember, this flight seven oh six leaves promptly in four hours. Do manage your time well. Thank you again for choosing Delta African Air.

GINA thinks - Four hours!

(She looks at her watch. Already people have begun to secure their belongings and make way to depart the plane.)

GINA thinks - Oh well, no point in me sitting here. I'm not sleepy or anything. I may as well walk around for a while.

(GINA takes her CD player and places it in her bag. She makes sure she has her boarding pass and she gets up to leave the plane.)

GINA thinks - Oooh, wait, my hat.

(GINA reaches back into her bag and pulls out an AKA baseball cap. She pulls her hair back into a ponytail and puts the hat on.)

GINA thinks - Alright, now I'm ready.

(She steps in line and walks toward the door to leave the almost empty plane.)

FLIGHT ATTENDANT - Make sure you manage your time well maam.

GINA - Oh I will. Do people actually miss their time and get left?
FLIGHT ATTENDANT - Oh sure, all the time. We always manage to leave at least one per trip it seems like.

GINA - Wow, are you serious? This airline strands people in Amsterdam?
FLIGHT ATTENDANT - Well not really. You see, if you miss this flight, there is another one right behind us. They are arriving in this airport. As we finish refueling, they will begin refueling, which will be our head start toward London.

GINA - Oh.

FLIGHT ATTENDANT - So if you miss this one, you could always take the next one out.

GINA - Thanks, but I won't be missing anything.

(GINA smiles as she exits the plane.)

GINA thinks - Okay, so let me walk around for a while. I guess.

(GINA follows the other passengers toward the market place. As she strolls along, she sees another couple... holding hands.)

(silence)

(She turns toward a different direction and walks on.)

GINA thinks - Miri...

(silence)

GINA thinks - Miri...

GINA - Miri, why can't we go out?

MIRI - You can. I can get Sherad to take you shopping or to eat or something.

GINA - Miri, that's my point! I don't wanna go with Sherad, I've been out with him like twenty times already. I wanna go out with you!

MIRI - Gina, some other time okay?

(MIRI closes his eyes.)

GINA - Miri.

(silence)

GINA - Miri!

MIRI - Gina, I'm trying to meditate. Please.

GINA - Meditate?

(GINA taps MIRI on the shoulder. He looks up at her. He is sitting on the floor and she is standing.)

GINA - Miri, that's all you do! Meditate and read! Meditate and read! You don't even write me poems anymore!

MIRI - You should try it babe. Meditation.

GINA - I didn't come all the way around the world to meditate! I came to be with you.

MIRI - You are with me.

(MIRI turns away and closes his eyes again.)

GINA - I'm talking to you!

(She nudges him again.)

MIRI - Gina, I'm trying to med...

GINA - Forget meditate! Hell Miri! I'm fed up!

MIRI - Gina...

(MIRI stands up.)

MIRI - ...what is the problem? We're in the motherland for Pete's sake. You need to reconnect with the continent, with the land, with the earth.

GINA - I need to reconnect with my boyfriend.

(silence)

GINA - Miri, I didn't come all the way over here to sit around the house and let some tour guide entertain me. I came here to be with you. Now I understand if you have work for school. But you breeze through that so quick, that doesn't even phase you. My problem is that every waking minute of the day, you're sitting around meditating, drumming out back, or drawing things in the dirt.

MIRI - Creative imagery Gina. I told you that when I draw...

GINA - Miri stop! I'm tired of sitting around here doing nothing!

MIRI - Well what do you want me to do? This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me! I've wanted this all my life!

GINA - And I want to be with you!

MIRI - You are with me Gina. You are.

(MIRI walks over and grabs his drum.)

MIRI - Sherad...

(A thin middle Eastern man jogs into the room.)

SHERAD - Yes Baba.

MIRI - ...please take Gina out...

(MIRI turns toward the back of the house to go and play his drum.)

MIRI - ...and make sure she has a good time.

SHERAD - Yes Baba. Right away.

(SHERAD turns to GINA.)

SHERAD - Are you ready Ms. Gina?

(silence)

(GINA stares at MIRI walking away.)

(silence)

(GINA stares at a vendor who is offering fresh flowers.)

GINA - Oh, sorry. No thank you.

(The man smiles and returns to his table. GINA looks back at her plane, flight 706, then turns and walks into the marketplace.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APRIL - Max...is going...with us?

(MAX smiles as he extends his hand toward APRIL.)

MAX - Hi April.

APRIL - Uh...hey Max.

(They shake hands.)

LARRY - Yeah, this is gonna be mad fun. Let's go.

APRIL - Uh...ok.

(LARRY holds the front door open for APRIL...then MAX. They walk toward the bus stop.)

LARRY - Hey April, check this out. Why does Tiger Woods always bring two pair of socks on the golf course?

APRIL - Huh? I don't know, I didn't know he did that.

LARRY - Sure he does, because he may get a...hole in one!

(MAX bursts out laughing.)

LARRY - Get it? A hole in one! Ha ha ha ha!
MAX - Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

APRIL - Oh yeah...I get it. Ha.

(silence)

MAX - You're funny dude.

(LARRY pretends to bow.)

LARRY - Thank you...thank you very much. Please, no autographs.

MAX - Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

(They get to the bus stop and sit down.)

LARRY - So how you been since we last spoke Appie?

(APRIL glances at MAX who is staring back at her, waiting for her answer.)

APRIL - Uh...since we last spoke? We spoke earlier today.

LARRY - Yeah, but a lot can happen in a day.

(silence)

APRIL - Umm, I've been fine.

LARRY - That's good. Me too.

(silence)

APRIL - Larry, why didn't you tell me that we would have...

(APRIL lowers her voice a little.)

APRIL - ...company.

LARRY - Company?

(APRIL nods toward MAX.)

LARRY - Who Max? Oh that's my boy. He's mad cool.

(APRIL puts her hand on her forehead in embarrassment. LARRY continues talking too loud.)

LARRY - I mentioned that you and me were goin' to see the Pirate movie and he said he had been wanting to see that too. So he asked if he could tag along. No biggie.

APRIL thinks - No biggie?

(The bus pulls up.)

LARRY - Let's go yall.

(LARRY steps aside to let APRIL get on the bus first. He follows her and MAX follows him. There are only two seats available on the bus.)

LARRY - Here April, sit down here.

APRIL - Thanks.

(LARRY turns to MAX.)

LARRY - You wanna sit down bruh?
APRIL thinks - What!

MAX - Naw, I'm cool. Go head.

(LARRY sits down next to APRIL.)

LARRY - Yeah, I heard this movie is pretty good. You hear anything about it?
APRIL - No. Not really.

LARRY - Yeah, I heard it's good. This is gonna be great!

APRIL - I hope so.

(APRIL rolls her eyes and looks out the window.)

APRIL thinks - I can use a good movie right about now!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 and 1/2 Hours later...

GINA thinks - Man, it's hot out here!

(She pulls her hat down.)

GINA thinks - But this is a different kind of heat then Africa. Good grief.

(She looks at her watch and buys a bottle of water from a vendor.)

GINA thinks - I can't believe I'm in Amsterdam.

(She looks around at all the sights and sounds around her. In a small way, she is really hoping MIRI walks up and stops her from leaving and going back to the United States, although she knows that won't happen.)

GINA thinks - I know I should eat. But I'm not hungry. I have't eaten in two days though.

(GINA turns and sees the couple who were holding hands approaching her.)

JARED - Hello, I'm Jared and this is Angie. Pardon us but my fiancee swears you're on the same flight with us back to London. Is that true? We have a bet going.

GINA - Well I'm going to New York and I think London is the next stop.

ANGIE - Right! I told you sweetie!

JARED - Ahhh! You're right! I owe you!

(They all laugh.)

GINA - I'm Gina.

ANGIE - Hi Gina! You must be from the US with that accent!

(ANGIE smiles.)

GINA - What accent?

(They all laugh again.)

JARED - Oh gosh muffin, we don't have much time to waste. Our plane will be departing the runway soon.

ANGIE - Let's make our way back then.

JARED - Would you care to join us for a walk back Gina?

GINA - Sure.

(GINA turns and pays the vendor for the fruit and nuts she just bought.)

GINA - I'm glad they take US currency here.

JARED - Indeed. They honor the pound as well.

GINA - So when are you two getting married?
ANGIE - Our wedding date is Sept...

JARED - It's in forty three days, and I can't wait!

ANGIE - Aw baby!

GINA - That is so nice!

ANGIE - He is the sweetest gentleman!

(They kiss.)

GINA - That is so nice. He actually is counting the days until he marries you. Wow.

ANGIE - Oh yes, Jared is very special to me. Anyone special in your life Gina?

JARED - Yeah, anyone back in the states?

(silence)

GINA - No. Nobody special.

(They walk toward the airplane. They have to wait however because the second flight from Africa is just landing and the runway workers have to keep the area clear for a few moments.)

JARED - Oh this is the next flight with the lay over. Right on time. Muffin do you want to stay in Amsterdam and have dinner? We can freely board the next flight home.

ANGIE - Are you quite sure?

JARED - Positive. I heard the flight attendant say that.

GINA - I heard her say it too.

(ANGIE stares at JARED and smiles.)

JARED - We have four hours to kill muffin.

ANGIE - Oooh are you sure honey?
JARED - Come on! Why not! Let's have dinner in Amsterdam! And Gina can join us!

GINA - Oh I couldn't.

ANGIE - Well sure you can. This next plane has to refuel I suppose.

JARED - Yeah, sure it does. Join us. What's the hurry?

(silence)

GINA - Thanks guys but I need to get back. I got some things I need to...sort out. So I'm looking forward to the long flight back.

ANGIE - Are you sure?

GINA - Yeah, thank you though. Yall have a great time, it was great meeting you.

JARED - You too Gina. Be good to yourself.

GINA - You too Jared. Bye Angie.

ANGIE - Good bye Gina.

(GINA turns and walks back toward her plane. She is fighting back tears as she looks up and sees the logo for Delta Africa Air, which she first saw when she surprised MIRI on her flight to Africa.)

GINA thinks - He doesn't even know I left to go back home!

(GINA boards the plane and takes her seat.)

GINA thinks - Well this is it I guess. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

(She looks out the window. She is looking for JARED and ANGIE, but hoping for MIRI. GINA starts to cry.)

(silence)

FLIGHT ATTENDANT - Welcome back to Delta Air flight seven oh six on our way to London and continuing on to the United States. Please turn all cellular devices off until we land in London. Please make sure your seats are in the full upright position and your tray tables are...

(The other attendants close and seal the door and prepare for take off.)

MIRI - I need to get off now! It's an emergency!

FLIGHT ATTENDANT - Sir, we cannot let you off until flight seven oh six takes off and we pull into their vacated space!

MIRI - No! Wait! That flight can't take off! I need to get off this plane and get on that one!

No comments: