Saturday, December 15, 2007

Episode 31

QUINTON is in his room. His frat brothers LARRY, REGGIE, and DONTE are there as well. The interested men, KEITH, MARTIN, MAX, and FRANK are talking with the brothers.

REGGIE - Did you say your name was Frank?

FRANK - No, I'm Frank. He's Max.

QUINTON - And he's a liar.

(QUINTON points at KEITH.)

KEITH thinks - Damn, he hates me!

(All the Alphas in the room laugh.)

REGGIE - Oh okay. So you're Max. Okay Max. Tell me specifically why you want to pledge Alpha and not Kappa. They have some good brothers over there and they do some good things in the community. So why not them?

MAX - Well my thing in regard to that is first impression. I think that first impressions are lasting impressions and first impressions are very important. When I go to Ahpla, I actually met one of the Kappas first. I don't remember his name but he's tall.

REGGIE - Xavier.

MAX - Yeah, that's him. Well when I met him, he just didn't seem receptive. Like, he's not really a nice person is he?

REGGIE - Xavier? Xavier is the ni...

LARRY - You're right. Xavier can be an ass. Continue. Tell me more about your first impression of Xavier.

(LARRY interrupts REGGIE to coerce MAX to continue.)

MAX - Yeah. So he just seems real shady. Ya know? I don't think I would want to associate with him. Or trust him with pledging me.

LARRY - I hear ya dude. Do you think, from his first impression on you, that he's a lady's man?

MAX - Oh definitely. As a matter of fact, I saw him talking to one girl and kiss her. And then five minutes later all up on another girl by the elevator and kiss her too.

LARRY - Oh yeah?

REGGIE thinks - Oh brother!

MAX - Yeah. And he's got a foul mouth too.

(All of the Alphas look at one another and hold in their laughter.)

LARRY - Really? How do you know he has a foul mouth.

MAX - Well see the thing is, I don't curse at all. So it seems like my ears are very sensitive to people who do curse in my presence.

LARRY - No bullshit? You're fuckin' with me right?

(All the Alphas laugh.)

MAX - Uh...no. I'm serious.

LARRY - Well damn.

(silence)

LARRY - Continue. What the fuck?

MAX - Uh...so anyway, just in Xavier's casual conversation he curses a lot. And I really can't get down with that.

LARRY - But I fuckin' curse. So are you saying that you don't want to be a motherfuckin' Alpha in this bitch now? What the hell?

MAX - Well back to what I was saying before. The first member of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity incorporated that I met here at Ahpla was Bobby. He impressed me with his personality, the man that he is, his sense of brotherhood, his respect for women and his speech.

(silence)

(LARRY looks over at QUINTON, then back at MAX.)

LARRY - Oh so Bobby impressed you. He didn't curse?

MAX - Not once.

(silence)

(LARRY can no longer hold it in and begins to laugh. The other Alphas join in.)

DONTE - I can't take it no more. All of yall get in push up position!

----------------------

The door opens and ROBIN emerges. She is walking out of the room holding BREANNA's hand. BREANNA is crying her eyes out.

ROBIN - Come over here. You stand right here. And Theresa, you stand there.

(THERESA moves into position next to BREANNA.)

ROBIN - Okay now do it! Go ahead.

(ROBIN points her camera as BREANNA and THERESA put their hands together to form the hand sign of Delta Sigma Theta.)

ROBIN - Say spring two thousand three!

BREANNA & THERESA - Spring two thousand three!!!! Ooooooooooooooo-oop!

(ROBIN snaps the picture.)

WILLIE - Get me get me!

(WILLIE jumps into the picture in between THERESA and BREANNA.)

WILLIE - Dag Bree, you're gonna cry all over your new sweater!

BREANNA - I know!

(BREANNA laughs and wipes her face. She is wearing a white Delta Sigma Theta had and a red Delta Sigma Theta sweatshirt.)

WILLIE - Smile sorors!

(They all smile and ROBIN takes another picture.)

CHRISTIAN - My turn!

(CHRISTIAN jumps in. She hugs THERESA who is wearing WILLIE's sorority jacket.)

CHRISTIAN - Say The Two Separate Moods of Fortitude!

BREANNA & THERESA - The Two Separate Moods of Fortitude!

ROBIN - I love that name yall!

(ROBIN takes another picture as CHRISTIAN turns to THERESA.)

WILLIE - Congratulations soror! I'm so proud of you. I'm proud of both of you!

THERESA - Thanks Christian.

(They hug and CHRISTIAN turns to BREANNA.)

CHRISTIAN - Breanna, I know we have our issues and some things we need to probably discuss...

(CHRISTIAN pauses.)

CHRISTIAN - I'll just leave it at that. But we can do that later. For now, welcome to my sisterhood soror!

BREANNA - Thank you Christian.

(They half hug.)

MARLANA - Let's take a chapter picture. Come on sorors!

(ROBIN takes a picture of everyone in the room, then WILLIE takes a picture as she and ROBIN change places.)

MARLANA - Wow, sorors nowadays get mad gifts when they cross! Dag, look at all this stuff!

THERESA - I know! Thank yall!

BREANNA - I just can't believe it! I'm a Delta! I can't believe it!

MARLANA - Yes you are Breanna. You worked hard for it and you deserve it.

(MARLANA hugs BREANNA again.)

BREANNA - I've wanted this for so long! I just can't believe it! I don't even think it's hit me yet.

WILLIE - It will as soon as you look in the mirror with your letters on! Hee hee!

BREANNA - Well I can do that right now!

(Everyone laughs as BREANNA hurries to the bathroom to look at herself in the mirror.)

BREANNA thinks - I can't believe this!

(BREANNA looks in the mirror at herself. She looks at each letter in Delta Sigma Theta long and close.)

BREANNA - I am a Delta!

(As she poses in the mirror throwing the sign, ROBIN peaks her head in.)

ROBIN - Soror?

BREANNA - Yes Big Sis...hey wait, I aint gotta say that no more!

(They both laugh.)

ROBIN - Nope, you're a soror now! And you'll always be my sister.

(BREANNA smiles a big smile.)

BREANNA - Awwwwwwwwwww! Thank you!

ROBIN - Listen, I think there's someone you need to call and clear a few things with.

(ROBIN extends her hand to BREANNA. She is handing BREANNA her cell phone.)

BREANNA - Thank you.

ROBIN - A Delta always handles her business. Handle yours.

(ROBIN gives her the phone and closes the bathroom door. BREANNA stares at it for a minute before she looks through ROBIN's phone book.)

BREANNA thinks - A Delta always handles her business.

(BREANNA finds STACIE JEFFERSON's number and dials.)

BREANNA thinks - A Delta always handles her business. A Delta always handles her business.

(The phone rings and BREANNA takes a deep breath.)

BREANNA thinks - Soror Stacie. I just don't believe she is my...my...soror now.

(The phone rings once more before it is answered.)

ALEX - Jefferson residence.

-------------------------

The Alphas are speaking with four interested young men. DONTE has grown frustrated and is taking over the meeting.

LARRY - So Bobby really impressed you huh? I can understand that. He has a deep respect for women. He didn't curse when you met him?

MAX - Not once.

(silence)

(LARRY can no longer hold it in and begins to laugh loudly. The other Alphas join in.)

DONTE - I can't take it no more. All of yall get in push up position!

(The four students quickly attempt to roll over on their stomachs to get into push up position and QUINTON stops them.)

QUINTON - Whoa whoa whoa! Slow that down. Yall sit back down.

DONTE - What man!

QUINTON - Too early man. Come on. You know better.

DONTE - Damn.

(The Alphas laugh.)

REGGIE - Max. Let me explain something to you bruh. And all you guys take note of this. Don't give us answers that you think we want to hear. It only hurts you in the long run. Because in the end, we know the truth.

LARRY - And the truth shall set you....

REGGIE - Shut up Larry. As I was saying. Don't try and bad mouth other frats on campus. We all get along. The way you described Xavier is totally false and a lie. I know Xavier much better than that. So you're not impressing me by putting him down because he's a Kappa and making yourself look juicy on this first impression bullshit.

LARRY - Oh wait...Max was lying about Xavier?

QUINTON - Shut the hell up you idiot! Ha ha ha ha!

(LARRY laughs.)

QUINTON - So basically we got two liars in your group. Dag yall. That means that we'll only accept fifty percent of yall for line. Keith and Max are out.

MAX thinks - Huh?

REGGIE - Yep. That's the way it seems.

MAX - But I was only...

QUINTON - Listen Max...Keith, it was great meeting you guys.

(QUINTON starts to walk toward the door.)

QUINTON - But you're not really what we're looking for right now. So you two can leave.

(silence)

MAX - Is there any way I can change you first impression of me?

(The brothers begin to laugh loudly.)

LARRY - You and this first impression shit! Ha ha ha ha!

QUINTON - Naw man. You and Keith go on and leave now. Thank you for your interest in Alpha Phi Alpha.

MAX - But...

(KEITH just walks out and murmurs as he passes QUINTON.)

QUINTON - What? You got something to say?

KEITH - Man forget it! I didn't want to be an Alpha anyway!

(QUINTON yells toward KEITH out in the hall.)

QUINTON - See! I knew you were a liar! You know you want to be an Alpha! Ha ha ha ha!

MAX - Well I do want to be an Alpha and if you'll just let me...

(LARRY grabs MAX's arm and starts to walk him out.)

LARRY - Look man. Try again next year okay?

MAX - But...

QUINTON - And good luck then. Ha ha ha ha!

(LARRY walks MAX into the hallway and closes QUINTON's door.)

MAX - What happened? What was that all about?

LARRY - It's just a test Max. We're trying to see how bad people want it. Don't worry about it. You're doing fine.

MAX - Oh! Gosh I thought I really screwed up big time!

LARRY - Well you almost did. Where the hell did you come up with all that stuff about Xavier? Ha ha ha ha!

MAX - I didn't know what to say.

LARRY - This may sound corny, but honesty is the best policy. For real.

MAX - Okay. Well if that's the case, maybe I should tell them about...

LARRY - No! No!

(LARRY lowers his voice.)

LARRY - I told you. Keep that under wraps for now. It's way too early to come out with that. I don't know if my frat brothers are ready for that kind of information just yet.

---------------

The interest meeting for Zeta Phi Beta sorority incorporated is in progress. The ladies have completed the presentations on the sorority and the keynote address. The mix and mingle portion is beginning next door.

DENICE - I still think it's a crazy idea.

SHARONDA - Why?

DENICE - Because she's just too young. She's not out of high school.

SHARONDA - Oh get over it D. Look, I already explained to you. Because of the college courses they offered her at her school, she almost has just as many credits as anybody else up in here trying to make line. So she'll be eligible.

DENICE - But will she be mature enough? That's my concern.

SHARONDA - Of course she will. She's a Ferguson.

DENICE - Mmmmm hmmmmm.

(DENICE smirks and walks away.)

SHARONDA thinks - Whatever.

(SHARONDA approaches MIYA.)

SHARONDA - Hey little cousin. What you think so far?

MIYA - Oh I love it Ronda! I really do! I want to be a Zeta right now!

(SHARONDA laughs.)

SHARONDA - Well you gotta go through a few things first young one. Can't just up and be Greek. You got some trials and tribulations to go through.

MIYA - Well bring it on then!

(They both laugh as two young ladies approach.)

ADA - Hello Sharonda Ferguson?

(SHARONDA turns around.)

SHARONDA - Yes how are you?

ADA - I am fine. My name is Ada and this is Yvette.

YVETTE - Hello.

ADA - We were wondering what was the best way to get in contact with you. The information with your contact name has phone numbers as well as your email address. Which do you prefer?

MIYA - I would've preferred for you to say excuse me since you so rudely interrupted my conversation with Sharonda. I mean damn.

(silence)

SHARONDA - It's okay Miya.

(SHARONDA turns back to the two young women who are looking at MIYA weird.)

ADA thinks - What's her problem?

YVETTE thinks - Is she a visiting Zeta? She sure looks young though.

SHARONDA - Just email me. The S Ferguson at amgis address is fine.

ADA - Thank you.

YVETTE - I wanted to get a chance to talk to you as well but...I uh, didn't want to interrupt anythi...

SHARONDA - No it's fine. Miya.

MIYA - Yes?

SHARONDA - I want you to go over and meet my neo Denice. I think she mentioned wanting to talk to you.

MIYA - Oh okay. Cool.

ADA - Nice meeting you Miya.

MIYA - Uh yeah. Same here.

(As MIYA turns to walk away, she stops in her tracks.)

MIYA thinks - Oh shit!

---------------

(BREANNA finds STACIE JEFFERSON's number and dials.)

BREANNA thinks - A Delta always handles her business. A Delta always handles her business.

(The phone rings and BREANNA takes a deep breath.)

BREANNA thinks - Soror Stacie. I just don't believe she is my...my...soror now.

(The phone rings once more before it is answered.)

ALEX - Jefferson residence.

(silence)

ALEX - Hello? Jefferson residence. Hello?

BREANNA - Is...uh Stacie Jef...is Stacie there?

(silence)

ALEX - Breanna?

BREANNA - Uh, no. This is Marlana.

ALEX - No it isn't! This is Breanna! I know your voice! I'd know it anywhere!

(silence)

ALEX - Breanna! Bree! Answer me! Tell me that this is you! Tell me!

(BREANNA doesn't say anything but she doesn't hang up either.)

ALEX - Oh my God! Breanna say something to me! Please!

BREANNA - Alex I didn't call for you. I called for my soror Stacie.

ALEX - Your soror? You crossed?

BREANNA - Yes I crossed!

ALEX - That's great Bree! Congratulations! I knew you could do it!

BREANNA - Mmmmm hmmmm.

(silence)

ALEX - It's good to hear your voice again.

BREANNA - Alex, put Stacie on the phone.

ALEX - Uh...I can't.

BREANNA - Stop playing games Alex!

ALEX - No really I can't. She doesn't live here anymore.

------------

SHARONDA - Miya, I want you to go over and meet my neo Denice. I think she mentioned wanting to talk to you.

MIYA - Oh okay. Cool.

(As MIYA turns to walk away, she stops in her tracks.)

MIYA thinks - Oh shit!

(MIYA quickly turns back around.)

MIYA - Sharonda! Is that who I think it is over there?

SHARONDA - Huh? Where?

MIYA - Over my shoulder! Look who just came in here!

(SHARONDA looks. MIYA has her head down and her hand hiding her face.)

SHARONDA - Where?

MIYA - Over there. By the door. Just came in.

SHARONDA - Oh it's Mona! What the hell is she doing here?

JAHANNA - It feels so weird being here Mona!

MONA - I know! Everything is blue! Look at the table cloths and the pictures they hung on the walls!

JAHANNA - And all the Zetas are in blue suits.

MONA - Yeah, this is crazy! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Feels weird huh?

JAHANNA - Yeah, totally.

(SALEEMA approaches MONA.)

SALEEMA - Um, can I help you?

MONA thinks - Oh God! Not Saleema!

MONA - I'm just looking for my cousin.

SALEEMA - Well if you can wait outside, I will bring her to you.

MONA - Why I gotta go outside?

SALEEMA - Because this is a closed event. It's only for women of Zeta or women interested in Zeta. And you are neither.

MONA - Fine. Please tell her that I need to spea...

(MONA sees MIYA.)

MONA - ...tell her to come outside. Right now!

SALEEMA - I will relay the message.

MONA - Oh and by the way, this is Jahanna. She's interested in Zeta so she can stay right?

(JAHANNA shoots a fast shocking glance at MONA.)

SALEEMA - Sure. She's welcome.

(MONA turns without another word and walks toward the door.)

SALEEMA - So Jahanna, were you here for the informational part of the program? I don't see a pamphlet in your hand.

JAHANNA - Uh...I apologize, I did get here late.

SALEEMA - Well we stress timeliness Jahanna. How do you expect to be chosen for our sorority if you can't even show up to an interest meeting on time?

(silence)

JAHANNA thinks - I am going to kill Mona!

JAHANNA - Uh...I am sorry Salee...

(SALEEMA sighs in disgust and walks away.)

JAHANNA thinks - Ooooooo...k!

(JAHANNA spots SHARONDA and MIYA.)

JAHANNA - Oh my God that's got to be young Ferguson! She looks like a little Mona! Scary!

(JAHANNA walks up to MIYA as SHARONDA is leaving.)

SHARONDA - Miya I'll be right back. You stay here. I'll deal with Mona.

MIYA - She's gonna kill me and tell my mom!

SHARONDA - No she won't. Trust me, I'll handle it.

MIYA - Are you sure?

SHARONDA - Trust me.

MIYA - Okay Ronda.

(JAHANNA and SHARONDA pass each other.)

JAHANNA - Hi.

MIYA - Wassup.

JAHANNA - Pretty cool informational huh?

MIYA - Yeah.

(silence)

JAHANNA - I'm Jahanna.

MIYA - I didn't ask.

(JAHANNA smiles.)

JAHANNA thinks - Little Mona!

JAHANNA - Hey, I like that. I gotta use that one some day. Can I borrow that?

MIYA - Huh?

JAHANNA - What you just said. That was a good one.

MIYA - It was? It didn't offend you?

JAHANNA - Girl please. I don't get offended that easily. I got tougher skin than that.

MIYA - Yeah right.

JAHANNA - Try me.

(JAHANNA steps into MIYA's personal space and loses her smile quickly.)

JAHANNA - I aint the one to fuck with.

(MIYA steps back and then slowly smiles.)

MIYA - What did you say your name was?

JAHANNA - Jahanna.

(MIYA extends her hand.)

MIYA - Okay Jahanna. I'm Miya and I think we're gonna get along just fine going for Z Phi B!

(JAHANNA smiles as she takes MIYA's hand.)

JAHANNA - We certainly will Miya. We certainly will.

No comments: