Saturday, December 15, 2007

Episode 48

WILLIE is crying in JASON's room.

WILLIE - I don't deserve you Jason. I just don't. I'm not ready for this kind of relationship. When we first started, I didn't know I would love you the way...I didn't know you could love me the way that you do.

JASON - Well I do. So what's wrong with that?

(silence)

WILLIE - It's deeper than I expected or imagined...

(She takes a long pause.)

WILLIE - ...and I don't think I can handle it anymore.

JASON - I don't understand. What do you mean you can't handle it anymore? Handle what? And why don't you deserve me?

(silence)

JASON - Willie talk to me.

WILLIE - I'm trying...its...its just that...

(silence)

JASON - Willie you are not making any sense at all and you're worrying me. Stop crying, come on, stop crying and talk to me.

(JASON approaches WILLIE and gets on his knee. He grabs her hands which she just wiped her tears with. He holds them tightly and looks up into her face.)

JASON - Talk to me.

WILLIE - Okay. Okay.

(WILLIE catches her breath and takes one hand from JASON to wipe her face again.)

WILLIE - Jason, I don't think I should stay in this relationship with you anymore.

JASON - What? Why?

WILLIE - It's just that...I don't deserve you for the way you treat me. I don't return the love you give me and that isn't...it so isn't fair to you Jason.

(JASON stands up.)

JASON - Willie what the hell are you talking about?

WILLIE - I don't know anymore, I'm so confused.

(silence)

JASON - Willie...

(WILLIE looks up.)

JASON - ...are you cheating on me?

(WILLIE pauses and looks away, then back at JASON.)

WILLIE - No.

(silence)

JASON - You're fuckin' cheating on me!

WILLIE - No, no I'm not...

JASON - Yes you are! I can tell by the way you answered me!

WILLIE - Jason...no...

JASON - I can't believe this! I can't...

(JASON looks around him and grabs the closest thing to him, his cell phone. He throws it and it shatters against the wall.)

WILLIE - Jason!

JASON - Who is it!

WILLIE - Nobody!

(JASON turns and storms toward the closet.)

WILLIE thinks - Oh my God!

WILLIE - Jason stop!

(JASON grabs his coat and throws it on. He storms out the door.)

WILLIE - Jason! Where are you...

(JASON slams the door behind him.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PJ is on the phone with ROBIN.

PJ - Yeah, but at least be a little creative with yours. The same restaurant?

(ROBIN laughs.)

ROBIN - Well yeah, I guess you got a point there girl.

(PJ laughs too.)

PJ - Well thanks for the heads up Robin.

ROBIN - Oh no doubt. I know I aint the one to get played and I aint tryin' to see none of my friends get played either. So I just wanted to make you aware, just in case it was shady.

PJ - Yeah true true.

ROBIN - Aight well I'm out PJ. I'll catch ya later.

PJ - Hey Robin wait, did you say you were still at the diner now?

ROBIN - Yeah, why?

(PJ thinks a moment.)

PJ - Check this out, this is mad funny! This is what I want you to do!

ROBIN - Huh? What?

(SYLVIA turns to KATRICE.)

SYLVIA - Who's she talking to?

KATRICE - I think she said Robin.

SYLVIA - The Delta?

KATRICE - I guess.

SYLVIA - Oh. PJ is always up in some mix. I swear.

(KATRICE laughs.)

SYLVIA - So anyway, what were we talkin' about?

KATRICE - I don't know. I don't remember.

SYLVIA - Chick yes you do! We were talkin' bout you!

(KATRICE smiles.)

KATRICE - Oh yeah. I forgot.

SYLVIA - Uh huh. So what's the deal Trece? Why you hatin' on Jahana the way you do?

KATRICE - See I'd tell ya soror, but then I'd have to kill ya.

SYLVIA - Oh whatever! Stop playin'! What's the deal?

(silence)

SYLVIA - Well?

(Katrice smiles again.)

KATRICE - Okay look... this is the deal. See what happened was...

SYLVIA - No wait, just when the good part is! I gotta go!

KATRICE - Oh, you're leaving? Already?

SYLVIA - Girl I gotta go for real. I am so late, I was trying to wait around for your reasons.

KATRICE - Oh well.

(KATRICE smiles as she playfully shrugs.)

SYLVIA - Oh I'm gonna call PJ so don't act like I won't find out! Ha ha ha ha!

(KATRICE laughs. SYLVIA gets up and grabs her bag.)

KATRICE - Okay girl, I'll holla at cha lata.

SYLVIA - See ya Trece.

(SYLVIA walks past PJ.)

SYLVIA - Hey girl, I gotta go.

(PJ covers the phone with her hand.)

PJ - You leavin?

SYLVIA - Yeah, I'll call you later.

PJ - Okay.

(They hug and SYLVIA leaves.)

PJ - Okay tell me when you call me back! Ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha! Okay girl! Take care!

(PJ hangs up.)

KATRICE - What was that all about?

PJ - Would yo believe that Ty just took Robin to the twenty four seven right after he took me there!

KATRICE - What? How did you know?

PJ - That was Robin on the phone!

KATRICE - Oh shit! So explain to me what happened again? I wanna make sure I understood exactly what you just said.

PJ - Hell no.

KATRICE - Huh?

PJ - Don't try and be slick. I asked you a question and I want my answer first. Why the hell are you hatin' on Jahanna?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JASON has gone to the gym inside the Ahpla Dome on campus. He has on boxing gloves and is hitting the heavy bag.

JASON thinks - I'm so damn stupid! How did I not see this coming? Dammit!

(JASON hits the bag hard, the bag rocks back and forth.)

JASON thinks - How the hell...we're together every fuckin' day!

(JASON hits the bag three times quickly. The bag spins around.)

JASON thinks - Who is it! Who the hell is it!

(JASON hits the bag hard.)

JASON thinks - I need to calm down before I fuckin' kill somebody.

(JASON stops hitting the bag and slowly walks over to one of the benches. He sits down and drops his head into his hands, with the boxing gloves on.)

JASON thinks - I can't believe this...I just don't believe it!

(silence)

(Two guys walk in the gym talking and laughing. They go to the other side and prepare to work out.)

JASON thinks - Who is it...who is it...

(JASON stares at the two guys. Theyre talking and laughing as one prepares to life weights.)

JASON thinks - What kind of nigga does Willie like...

(JASON just stares at the guy lifting the weight. He stares at his arms, his chest, his legs, then his face.)

JASON thinks - Just the kind of nigga that Willie likes...

(JASON clinches his fists within the gloves.)

JASON thinks - I bet this has all been going on behind my back! The whole damn time!

(silence)

JASON thinks - I've been treating her like a queen all this time, and I bet this has been going on since the beginning!

(JASON slowly stands up with his eyes still fixed on the guy who was once lifting and now is standing.)

JASON thinks - And I bet all her sorors know! I'm just the damn fool all over campus!

(JASON is breathing very heavy but doesn't show it.)

JASON thinks - I should just...

(JASON takes a big swing.)

DEXTER - Whoa whoa bruh!

JASON - Dexter?

(DEXTER grabbed JASON's shoulder and startled JASON.)

JASON - Oh...uh...my bad man...you okay?

DEXTER - Yeah, I'm fine. You kinda jumpy huh?

JASON - Yeah man...I'm...

(silence)

DEXTER - I didn't know you came down here, I work out here all the time. Well come on man, let's take out that agression on the bag here.

(DEXTER puts his towel down on the bench and stands behind the bag to hold it for JASON.)

DEXTER - Aight man, let's see what ya go.

(JASON just stands there.)

DEXTER - Don't worry man, ha ha ha, it won't hit ya back. Give it your best shot!

(JASON steps in and hits the bag...hard. Very hard.)

DEXTER - Damn man, you need to take on Lennox Lewis! Damn!

(silence)

DEXTER - Hey J, what's the matter man? You look like you're about to kill somebody, and from the feel of that punch, you may be able to.

(silence)

DEXTER - You okay man?

JASON - Dex, can I talk to you...and you keep it between me and you?

DEXTER thinks - What's this about?

DEXTER - Sure man, what's up?

(silence)

(JASON gets ready to hit the bag again.)

JASON - I just got something...real important...that I need to ask you man.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MIKE is sitting at the 32nd precinct. He is trying to make a phone call.

MIKE - Excuse me...I've been here over an hour and I haven't been allowed to make a phone call yet!

OFFICER - Just a few more minutes sir. Take your seat and I'll be right with you.

MIKE - That's what you said an hour ago!

OFFICER - And it's gonna be another hour if you don't sit down!

MIKE thinks - Dammit!

(MIKE turns and sits back down. He rubs his wrists from when he had handcuffs on.)

MIKE thinks - This is some bullshit! This is some bullshit!

(MIKE thinks about MONA.)

MIKE thinks - I can't believe she played me like that! Oooooh I'm gona kick her...

OFFICER - Somebody named Mike here?

(MIKE jumps up.)

MIKE - Hey! Hey, that's me!

OFFICER - Right this way sir.

MIKE - Can I leave yet?

OFFICER - Leave? Where you think you're goin'?

MIKE - Home! This is one big misunderstanding.

OFFICER - Yeah, okay. Whatever.

MIKE - Well where are you taking me then?

(The officer doesn't answer as he flips through a folder and walks down a long hallway with MIKE following.)

MIKE - You don't talk much do you?

OFFICER - And you talk a lot...don't you?

(The officer turns a corner and opens a door. He holds it open or MIKE.)

MIKE - What the hell is that?

OFFICER - It's a camera.

MIKE - A camera? That big? Why are you taking my picture?

OFFICER - Because we'll need it for your file.

(MIKE stops.)

MIKE - File? What file?

OFFICER - You'll need a file for processing.

MIKE - Proces...okay wait up. Hold on a minute, this is all one big misunderstanding. I didn't start any fight on Amgis' campus. I don't even go to school there man! I told you I go to Ahpla University!

OFFICER - Yeah, you told me. So where's your Ahpla id?

MIKE - I already told you! I lost my wallet in all the confusion.

OFFICER - Uh huh. Stand right here please.

MIKE - Wait, you can't be serious man! Come on man, I didn't do anything!

OFFICER - Stand right here sir.

MIKE - Are you a Nupe by any chance?

OFFICER - A what?

MIKE thinks - Damn!

MIKE - Come on man, we need to talk about this...I need a lawyer...I need a phone call.

(The officer puts MIKE's folder down and walks toward MIKE.)

OFFICER - No, what you need to do is cooperate before this gets ugly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PJ - Don't try and be slick. I asked you a question and I want my answer first. Why the hell are you hatin' on Jahanna?

KATRICE - Damn Prejina, give it a break man. Shit.

PJ - I'll give it a break when you tell me the deal.

(PJ sits back down.)

PJ - Now what's up?

(silence)

PJ - Well? Speak!

(KATRICE laughs.)

KATRICE - So you really think I have something against Jahana huh?

PJ - Why else would you hate on her like you do? Your reasoning aint flying with me sister.

(KATRICE laughs again.)

KATRICE - You're just the private eye aint ya?

PJ - Yeah, I get to the bottom of the case.

KATRICE - Yeah, I see!

PJ - You're stalling again.

(silence)

KATRICE - PJ, I'd rather not talk about this. Okay?

PJ - Oh my bad.

KATRICE - Thanks.

PJ - Girl please! I don't care if you'd...

(PJ imitates KATRICE's voice.)

PJ - ...rather not talk about it...I want you tot talk about it so talk about it. Jahanna is my girl and I wanna know what's up.

(KATRICE loses her smile.)

KATRICE - Fine PJ. Fine.

(KATRICE slowly runs her fingers through her hair and exhales heavily.)

KATRICE - Okay PJ fine. I'll admit...

(KATRICE pauses.)

KATRICE - There is a reason...a big reason...why I was against Jahanna.

PJ - I knew it. I knew it. Why?

(KATRICE pauses before she begins.)

KATRICE - Okay, let me tell you why...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MIKE - Hello! Xavier! Hello!

XAVIER - Mike?

MIKE - Yo! Oh my God man, where are you?

XAVIER - I'm over here at Amgis. I'm interviewing some cats, I just caught up with frat. Where are you?

MIKE - Man these fools arrested me and think I had something to do with starting the fight!

XAVIER - What!

MIKE - I'm down at the police place now!

XAVIER - Jesus! Are you okay man?

MIKE - Yeah, I've been here forever though! They took my cell phone, I lost my wallet, and this is the first phone call they've let me make!

XAVIER - So how can you get out?

MIKE - That's why I'm calling you Z. I need five hundred dollars.

XAVIER - Five hundred dollars!

MIKE - Yeah, this is only a misdeamenor or something. I just have to pay a fine and I can leave. So can you bring it?

XAVIER - Are you crazy? I don't have five hundred dollars!

MIKE - Yes you do man, call your dad or something. He's a preacher, he got money!

XAVIER - Okay calm that noise down. My father is not gonna bail you out of jail.

MIKE - Why not?

XAVIER - He just aint. We need another plan of action.

MIKE - Well you gotta help me man, you gotta do something!

XAVIER - I'm thinking I'm thinking!

MIKE - Well think fast man! I gotta get out of here!

XAVIER - Okay okay...can I call you back?

MIKE - Call me back? Hell no man! I'm in the police station! They got me sitting here in some small ass room like I'm a criminal and this is my only phone call!

XAVIER - Oh wow! Okay, check this out. I'm gonna rally up the Nupes and we'll get the money! We'll all have to pitch in. Hold tight bruh, we'll be there for ya!

MIKE - Aight man, I'm countin' on ya man! Hurry!

XAVIER - Okay bruh! I'll get it as fast as I can!

MIKE - Thanks Z! Thanks!

XAVIER - No problem man!

(MIKE hangs up.)

OFFICER - Okay, back ya go.

MIKE - I know I know!

(MIKE walks back to his little room and the officer locks him in.)

MIKE - My frat brothers are coming to get me out of here!

OFFICER - Hurray for the calvary!

(The officer walks away.)

MIKE thinks - I'm gonna write a letter about his ass!

(MIKE sits down.)

MIKE thinks - I can't believe this is happening to me!

(MIKE looks around the small cell. There is writing all over the wall. He is sitting on a cold steel bed. He looks at how nasty it looks and he scoots to the very end of it so his body is not in contact with most of it.)

MIKE thinks - I'm gonna kill Mona! I'm gonna kill her ass!

(MIKE sits forward, closes his eyes, and rubs his forehead.)

MIKE thinks - I hope those niggas hurry up! This is some bullshit! Why me? Out of all the niggas out there to grab! Why me!

(MIKE looks at his arm to see his watch, but he forgot it was confiscated.)

MIKE - Dammit!

(MIKE stands up and starts pacing around the cell.)

MIKE thinks - This is some bullshit!

(MIKE hears the main door open and he tries to peek down the hall without touching his face to the bars of the cell. He hears keys jingling.)

MIKE thinks - They probably bringing some other nigga in here!

MIKE - Hey man, I need to make another phone call! Hey!

(The officer walks up to MIKE's cell and starts to fumble with the keys.)

MIKE - You're gonna let me make another phone call? Cool!

OFFICER - You won't need to. You posted bail.

MIKE - I did? That quick?

OFFICER - Yep. You're free to go as soon as you sign a few forms and get your belongings.

MIKE - Hell yeah!

(The officer opens the cell.)

MIKE - I knew them Nupes wouldn't let me down! Damn that was quick! I'm so glad I pledged!

(MIKE walks back down the long hallway behind the officer.)

MIKE thinks - I wonder how Z got the money that fast!

OFFICER - Come into this room with me and get your belongings.

MIKE - Okay.

(MIKE follows him.)

OFFICER - Sign right here and you're free to go.

MIKE - You know, you guys got a racket here. Five hundred bucks just to keep me in here?

OFFICER - Yeah, somebody's gotta keep the lights on in this place. Have a good day sir.

(The officer leads MIKE out.)

MIKE - Yeah uh huh. You too. I told you my frat brothers would get me out of this hell hole!

OFFICER - Frat brothers? I think you're a little mistaken sir.

MIKE - Huh?

(They go through the door.)

OFFICER - This is who got you out.

(MIKE stops in his tracks.)

MONA - Hey. You okay?

No comments: