Saturday, December 15, 2007

Episode 38

CARYN is driving the Mercedes truck. She is just leaving the mall.

(CARYN is singing with what is on the radio.)

CARYN - I don't know what you heard about me! But niggas can't get a dollar out of me!

TRINA - Good grief! You sure are singing the right song! Ha ha ha ha!

(DONNA laughs from the back seat.)

CARYN - I drive a Mercedes, wear a weave cuz I'm a G!

(They all chime in unison.)

ALL - Cuz we're some motherfuckin' P.I.M.P.s!

(They all laugh as CARYN pulls out of the mall parking lot.)

DONNA - Girl you know I hate your pimpin' ass!
CARYN - What? Why?
DONNA - Because you know damn well I wanted them pumps! And you bought them joints for yourself! Ha ha ha ha!

CARYN - But I bought you some! What are you talking about heffa?

DONNA - Hell, I wanted two pair since you buyin'!

(They all laugh.)

CARYN - Aw hell naw! So if it's my money it's okay to spend huh? I see how you are bitch!

DONNA - Hey, when opportunity knocks, I open up! Ha ha ha ha!

TRINA - Shit, me too!
CARYN - I third that emotion!

DONNA - Speaking of opportunities, when is Derrick breaking you off with some more money?

CARYN - I don't know. Last we spoke, he sounded real funny. Like he was trying to ask me something but he couldn't get it out. I don't know what was wrong with him.

DONNA - Girl, you don't know what that means?
TRINA - Yeah, you don't know?
CARYN - No what?

(silence)

CARYN - What? What!

DONNA - Girl, that must mean he wanted to ask you if you wanted your own truck instead of driving this one all the time!

CARYN - This is my truck!
TRINA - It ain't yours when Derrick is here.

CARYN - Yeah but how often is that?

DONNA - Maybe he was callin' to tell you some bad news. Like he got traded or something.

CARYN - Naw. I know that aint it.

TRINA - Maybe he was gonna ask you to marry him.

(silence)

(The three burst out laughing hysterically.)

CARYN - Oh God please! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

TRINA - I know I know! I'm just playing! Ha ha!

(The three laugh all the way back to campus where CARYN drops them off.)

CARYN - Aight hos! I'll see yall later!
TRINA - Peace trick!

DONNA - Lata heffa!

(CARYN drives off laughing as she goes to pick up Lil Derrick from the baby sitter.)

CARYN thinks - Maybe I should call Derrick back.

(silence)

CARYN thinks - Naaaaah!

(She gets to the baby sitters house and takes Lil Derrick to the car.)

CARYN - How's momma's big boy!

LIL DERRICK - Mommy!

CARYN - That's right big man! Come on, let's go home! Mommy gotta study tonight for a test! You gonna help mommy study? Huh?

(The baby laughs. CARYN kisses his head and gets in the truck. She drives home.)

CARYN - Come on Lil D. Let's get you washed up. You smell stinky man!

(The baby laughs as CARYN takes him out of his seat.)

CARYN - Oh that's funny huh? Thats funny huh? Well wait til momma gets your stinky butt...

(CARYN notices an envelope taped to her door.)

CARYN thinks - What the hell is this?

(She shifts the baby to the other arm and takes the envelope. She quickly opens her door and puts the baby down. She then opens the envelope and reads the letter inside.)

CARYN - Oh my God! Bobby got a court order!

(She quickly grabs her phone and dials.)

CARYN - Derrick! Bobby got a court order! He's trying to get our baby! He's trying to get our baby!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DERRICK picks up his phone.

CANDACE - Hello?
DERRICK - Hey Candace, it's Derrick.

CANDACE - Hi Derrick. Listen, I'm right smack in the middle of something. Is it okay if I call you back a little later on?

DERRICK - Yeah, that's fine.

CANDACE - Thanks Derrick.

(CANDACE quickly hangs up.)

DERRICK thinks - Damn, she hates me.

(DERRICK stops walking as soon as he gets outside of the practice gym. He turns around and looks behind him. The lights are still on inside because the rest of his team is still in practice.)

DERRICK thinks - Damn, I'm an idiot! I blew it in practice today!

(DERRICK looks across from him and notices a bench near a few trees. He slowly walks over and sits down.)

DERRICK thinks - What am I gonna do?

(silence)

(DERRICK dials on his phone again.)

MS. RAINES - Hello?

DERRICK - Hey Ma, it's me.

MS. RAINES - Hey baby. Hold on for a second.

(She clicks over.)

(silence)

MS. RAINES - Hi Derrick!

DERRICK - Hey Ma.

MS. RAINES - What's the matter?

(silence)

DERRICK - Ma, I gotta talk to you.

MS. RAINES - Sure, what's wrong son?

DERRICK - Ma, it seems like everything is falling apart. I don't know if I'm coming or going. I'm just so confused right now.

MS. RAINES - What's the matter? Tell me.

DERRICK - Well...

(silence)

DERRICK - ...well first of all, remember my ex girlfriend June?
MS. RAINES - Sure I do.

DERRICK - Well I just found out that June is getting married.

MS. RAINES - She is?

DERRICK - Yeah. Then I don't know about Caryn and the baby. Like, I think Caryn loves me and I don't know if I love her or not. I definitely love our son. But then there's this other girl named Candace that I met. And she seems really nice and interesting. But I might have messed that all up because I had Lil Derrick with me and...I don't know Ma. I just need some time away, or some sound advice or something.

MS. RAINES - Derrick...

(She pauses.)

MS. RAINES - Derrick, let me tell you a few things.

DERRICK - Okay.

MS. RAINES - And I want you to pay very close attention to what I'm gonna tell you son. You know I love you.

DERRICK - Of course.

MS. RAINES - Okay first of all, you made a conscious decision to let June go. Didn't you?

(DERRICK hesitates but answers.)

DERRICK - Yeah.

MS. RAINES - Okay then. You let her go. Let her go. Be a man and stand by the decisions that you make. You chose Caryn. Deal with that decision.

DERRICK - Yeah, you're right.

MS. RAINES - Now about Caryn.

DERRICK - Uh huh.

MS. RAINES - Derrick, Caryn is a ho.

DERRICK - Mom!

MS. RAINES - I'm gonna tell you the truth Derrick. The only reason Caryn is with you is because you are a basketball player in the NBA. Otherwise she wouldn't have anything to do with you. I knew that the first time I laid eyes on her. I'm not saying that she's a bad person. I'm just saying that she wears her motives all over her face. You're the only person that doesn't see this.

(silence)

MS. RAINES - I'm just tellin' you like it is Derrick because I love you and I don't wanna see you taken advantage of or hurt.

DERRICK - No it's cool. Keep going please.

MS. RAINES - Now. You aren't in love with Caryn because you just mentioned someone else. Derrick if you were truly in love, there wouldn't be anyone else. When you're in love...I mean really in love, there isn't anymore room in your heart for someone else. It's a beautiful place to be Derrick. Maybe you'll feel it one day. But you aren't there now.

DERRICK - No I'm not.

MS. RAINES - This new person that you met. Maybe she is a nice person, maybe not. That's for you to investigate and find out. Just this time, go in with both eyes open. Understand?

DERRICK - Yes maam.

MS. RAINES - And lastly, and most importantly, Lil Derrick.

(DERRICK smiles.)

DERRICK - My pride and joy.

MS. RAINES - Derrick wake up. That baby isn't your son.

DERRICK - Well yeah technically but he's...

MS. RAINES - Derrick! Stop being an idiot! That baby isn't your son! You're taking care of somebody else's baby! I understand you want to be responsible and do something that your father didn't do for you. But at least your father wasn't an idiot. You are getting the short end of the stick in this situation. Everyone can see it but you.

(silence)

MS. RAINES - Derrick, I know this is hard to swallow. But that is not your son.

DERRICK - Yeah ma. I know. But...

MS. RAINES - Stop. Listen to me. That is not your son.

DERRICK - I know.

MS. RAINES - You have to let that go Derrick. You have to.

(silence)

(silence)

(silence)

DERRICK - Why?

MS. RAINES - Because it's going to eventually affect your performance on the court.

(silence)

DERRICK - You're right.

MS. RAINES - I know. And I know it's painful. But God won't put on you more than you can handle. You have to let that situation go. You have a wonderful future ahead of you and you can't afford to lose your focus.

DERRICK - I know.

(DERRICK glances up at the practice arena where his teammates are still playing.)

DERRICK - I know, I can't afford to lose my focus.

MS. RAINES - Derrick, let it go. Stop trying to be something you're not. You're not that baby's father. That baby has a father who needs to step up and be a father. He needs to step up and be a man.

DERRICK - I know. You're right.

(silence)

MS. RAINES - So Derrick, what are you gonna do?

DERRICK - I'm gonna pray first of all.

MS. RAINES - Right.

DERRICK - And I'm gonna regain my focus.

(DERRICK starts to shake his hand as if he is dribbling an imaginary basketball.)

MS. RAINES - What else are you gonna do?
DERRICK - I need to pray that I am genuinely happy for June. She deserves to be happy.

MS. RAINES - Yes she does.

DERRICK - And...

(DERRICK stops with his hands and sits very still.)

DERRICK - And last...I'm gonna...

(DERRICK's other line rings.)

DERRICK - Hold on a second Ma.

MS. RAINES - Okay.

DERRICK - Hello.

CARYN - Derrick! Bobby got a court order! He's trying to get our baby! He's trying to get our baby!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TY opens the door to the Twenty Four Seven diner and allows PJ to walk inside in front of him.

PJ - Oh, a true gentleman.

TY - Yes yes. Exactly.

(They both laugh.)

TY - Wow, it's crowded today.

PJ - Yeah it is. Hungry negroes I guess.

TY - Yeah, damn. I don't think I've ever had to wait for a seat before.

PJ - I have. But it was after a party. You know everyone comes here after parties.

TY - Yeah.

(TY asks a waiter.)

TY - Excuse me, how long is the wait?

WAITER - Probably about ten minutes. It looks crowded but it's moving fast.

TY - Aight thanks.

PJ - That's cool, I can wait.

TY - Cool.

(PJ and TY sit down.)

PJ - So Ty, tell me a little something about yourself.

TY - Aight, first off, I belong to the mightiest brotherhood in the world! Them bruhs! That Omega Psi Phi Fraternity incorporated! Roo! Roo! Cat niggas need to step to the back while the bruhs be out!

PJ - Ooooo...k.

(PH laughs.)

PJ - I see you're a neo.

(TY laughs as well.)

TY - Well you are too.

PJ - True true. But I guess I've been in the game a little longer so I don't talk like that anymore. Not much at least.

TY - So act like you just crossed and I asked you what organization you belonged to. What would you say?

PJ - I belong to the first and the finest, the pretty girls who wear twenty pears,l fine as wine and good as gold, three time imitated never ever duplicated, the sophisticated ladies of the pink and green! Skeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

TY - Ha ha ha ha. See, I knew you still had it in ya.

(TY's cell phone rings as the waitress motions them over to their table.)

TY - You sound like a natural.

PJ - Thanks, I've had time to practice. But I'm no fanatic like you.

TY - Fanatic?

(TY checks the number on his cell phone.)

TY thinks - Robin.

(He pushes the end button allowing the call to go to voice mail. He puts his cell phone back on his hip.)

TY - What do you mean I'm a fanatic?

PJ - I mean what I said. You're a Que fanatic.

TY - No I ain't. I'm one of the calmer bruhs.

PJ - Then I'd hate to see them! Ha ha ha ha.

TY - Good point.

PJ - Let me ask you this. When was the last time you came outside with absolutely no Omega gear on?

TY - The day before I went on line. Ha ha ha ha!

PJ - See!

TY - But you don't have a lot of AKA stuff? Come on now.

PJ - No I don't. I'm conservative with mine. I show my affiliation in the way I carry myself.

TY - Well go ahead with your bad self.

(They both laugh as TY's cell phone beeps, indicating that he has a voice mail message.)

PJ - You're popular tonight.

TY - Yeah, blowin' up the spot.

(He silences his phone by pressing the end buton again.)

PJ - So tell me some more about you.

TY - Well I've always wanted to be an Omega. Que is just in my blood.

PJ - Uh huh. Is your father an Omega?
TY - No. I'm the first.

PJ - Oh okay. So why Omega then?
TY - Just look at some of the great men who are Omega men. And just what we stand for. You know what I'm sayin'?

PJ - Yes and no. I mean, I don't know what Omega stands for because I'm not one. But I can relate on my level. Feel me?
TY - Yeah I feel you.

PJ - So tell me something else about yourself.

TY - Well I have two brothers and one sister. My brothers aren't Ques yet, but they will be.

PJ - They're in school already?

TY - Yeah. One of my brothers goes to Lincoln University. The other one goes to Morehouse.

PJ - Oh okay.

TY - They gonna be bruhs too. They tryin' to slip in without tellin' me. But they don't know I'm already cool with the bruhs from both schools. So it'son already!

PJ - I see.

(TY laughs.)

PJ - So let me ask you a question.

TY - Yeah. Wassup.

(PJ smiles.)

PJ - You honestly don't think you're a fanatic?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MONA opens her front door.

MONA - Hey, come on in.

MIKE - Thanks.

(MIKE walks in and MONA closes the door behind him.)

MIKE - Wow, nice place.

MONA - Thanks a lot!

MIKE - Wow, this is beautiful.

(MIKE is looking at a framed AKA picture on MONA's wall.)

MIKE - Where did you get this?
MONA - Uhhhh...I don't really remember. Some convention or boooley or whatever it is we call it.

MIKE - Boule?
MONA - Yeah, I think so.

MIKE - Cool. And who is this? Your mother?
MONA - Yeah, that's my mommy.

MIKE - Oh she's an AKA too.

MONA - Yeah, she is a charter member of this chapter.

MIKE - Oh cool. An Ahpla grad as well.

MONA - Yep.

MIKE - So who is this?

(MIKE picks up a picture off of MONA's bookshelf.)

MONA - Oh, that's my cousin Sharonda. Remind me to throw that picture away. She gets on my nerves sometimes.

MIKE - Ha ha ha ha, we all got cousins like that. I hear you! Ha ha ha ha ha.

(MIKE sits down.)

MONA - You want something to drink Mike?
MIKE - Naw, I'm okay actually. Thanks.

MONA - Okay.

(MONA sits across from MIKE.)

MONA - So wassup?

MIKE - Girl, I'm good. Good and pretty! Ha ha ha ha!

MONA - Silly!

(MIKE grabs his cane that he had placed on the floor.)

MIKE - I'm just kiddin'. What's up with you?

(MIKE starts to slowly spin the cane in between his fingers.)

MONA - How do you do that so slow?

MIKE - What? Twirl?

MONA - Yeah, that's cool!

MIKE - Come here, let me show you how to do it.

(They both stand up.)

MIKE - Here, hold it like this. You're right handed right?

MONA - Yeah.

MIKE - Okay. Hold it like this. Now see how my fingers go? Do yours the same way.

MONA - Okay let me see.

(MONA tries it and drops it.)

MIKE - Ha ha ha, no. Let me show you.

(MIKE picks it up and stands behind MONA. He takes her hand as he places the cane in between her fingers.)

MIKE - See here, you just roll it. And you don't have to force it. You let the weight of the hook just carry it over. Like that...real smooth.

MONA - Like that?

MIKE - Yeah, real nice and easy. Like this.

MONA - Like that?

(MONA looks over her shoulder at MIKE.)

MONA - Like...this...

(MONA kisses MIKE on the lips softly.)

MONA - Like...that...

(MONA turns around and starts kissing MIKE.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PJ and TY are in the Twenty Four Seven diner talking. Their food has just arrived.

TY - What you mean I'm a fanatic. Ha ha ha ha, I ain't no different than you.

PJ - Yeah right.

(They start eating.)

PJ - I tell you what Ty.

TY - Uh huh.

PJ - Tell me something about yourself without mentioning Omega.

TY - Oh that's easy.

PJ - I bet you can't do it.

TY - Sure I can.

(TY's cell phone rings.)

TY - Hold on a second.

PJ - Sure.

(TY takes the phone off his hip and looks at it.)

TY thinks - Damn. Robin again.

(This time TY answers.)

TY - Hello.

ROBIN - Hi, it's Robin.

TY - Hey. How you?

ROBIN - I'm good, how are you?
TY - Good. What's the deal?

ROBIN - Nothin' much. I was seeing what you were doing and if you wanted to get something to eat later.

TY - Yeah, that's cool. That'll work.

ROBIN - Okay. You wanna meet somewhere? The Twenty Four Seven?

TY - The diner.

ROBIN - Yeah, the diner.

TY - That's cool.

ROBIN - Okay what time?
TY - Uh...like tonight?

ROBIN - Yeah, how about like eight. Later is better for me.

TY - Yeah that's cool. So I'll holla lata then.

ROBIN - Okay. See ya then.

(ROBIN hangs up.)

TY - Aight then bruh. I'll talk to ya lata dog. Peace.

(TY hangs up.)

TY - Sorry about that.

PJ - No problem. Everything straight?

TY - Oh yeah. No problem.

(TY checks his watch.)

TY - What was I just saying?

PJ - Tell me something about yourself that doesn't involve Que.

TY - Oh yeah. Okay, I'm a big football fan. I love the Tennessee Titans.

PJ - I didn't know you were from Tennessee.

TY - Well I'm not, it's just that the quarterback Steve McNair is a br...

(TY stops himself and smiles.)

PJ - He's a what? What was that?

(PJ starts laughing.)

TY - Okay okay you got me. But I'm a neo. Hey, what ya expect? Next year I'll be cool like Buck.

PJ - Man, I didn't even know Buck pledged anything. I'm so happy for him and June.

TY - Yeah me too.

(They continue to talk and laugh. The waiter comes back over.)

WAITER - Any desert for you two?
PJ - Aw naw, but can you box this up for me?

WAITER - Sure.

(TY checks his watch.)

PJ - That was good.

TY - Yeah, it was.

PJ - Thanks for the invite.

TY - My pleasure. I had a great time talkin'.

PJ - And barkin'. Ha ha ha ha.

TY - Roo! Roo!

(They get up to leave.)

PJ - What are you getting ready to do now?

TY - I may meet up with some of the bruhs. I don't know. Either that or just go home and kick it.

PJ - Cool. I got some reading to do. Plus I gotta call June. She left a message for me about something.

TY - Cool.

(TY opens the door for PJ to walk out.)

PJ - I don't even know how to act, such a gentleman.

TY - Only in the presence of a lady, a fine lady of AKA. Ha ha ha ha.

MONA - Good, then keep holdin' that door open! Ha ha ha ha.

(MONA walks into the diner with MIKE right behind her.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DERRICK - Hold on.

CARYN - Bobby's trying to...

DERRICK - Hold on!

(DERRICK clicks back over.)

DERRICK - Ma, let me go.

MS. RAINES - Okay Derrick. I hope my talk helped. I'll be praying for you.

DERRICK - Thanks Ma. It really did help...a lot. Talk to ya later.

MS. RAINES - Good bye.

(DERRICK clicks back to CARYN.)

DERRICK - Caryn?

CARYN - Yes!

(CARYN sounds like she is crying.)

CARYN - Derrick! Bobby's trying to take our son! He wants to take our son!

(silence)

CARYN - What should we do?

DERRICK - Caryn, this is what you should do. I want you to call Coach Edwards my old coach. His wife is an attorney. And she's good.

CARYN - Uh huh.

DERRICK - Tell Coach the situation and he'll speak to his wife.

CARYN - Uh huh.

DERRICK - You need to speak to Mrs. Edwards about child custody rights and visitation. Find out how you and Bobby can work this out.

CARYN - Work it out?

DERRICK - Yeah.

(silence)

CARYN - What do you mean work this out with Bobby?
DERRICK - Bobby is the baby's father. He needs to have some rights to be able to see his child. You and him need to sit down and come up with something amicable that works for yall and most of all for your son.

CARYN - What!

DERRICK - That's what you need to do.

CARYN - You're acting like this isn't your son!

DERRICK - Caryn...he isn't.

CARYN - Well who's supposed to pay for support? Who's supposed to buy him things? Who's suppose to provide for him?

DERRICK - Bobby is.

CARYN - Bobby? Bobby aint got no job!

DERRICK - Then Bobby needs to get one.

CARYN - But...but...

DERRICK - Caryn, I have to go.

CARYN - Why are you doing this!

(silence)

DERRICK thinks - Please God help me.

DERRICK - Caryn please, I have to go now.

CARYN - No Derrick! I need you!

(silence)

CARYN - I love you!

(silence)

DERRICK - Goodbye Caryn.

No comments: